The Musicians Guide to College choices

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/11/2005 3:05 am
Okay guys, so I've spent alot of time looking around for some nice guitar colleges out there, since I will be going to one. The obvious choice is Berklee (which is most likely where I'll go), but there are many in the field. Please, please, please add any guitar colleges you think are suitable for any musician looking for a further education.

The List-

Berklee College of Music
Tuition: I believe it was $18,000 when i checked
Known as the number one contemporary music college in the country. Modern music's "Julliard", as many call it.

The University of the Arts
Tuition = $23,000 per year
Two words. Jimmy Bruno. This school has some great jazz teachers (Jimmy, Pat Martino, Pat Mercuri, etc) and churns out great jazz players ever year. A very liberal school.

Musicians Institute (GIT)
Tution: Roughly $15,000
This is a guitarist's heaven.

Indiana University- Bloomington School of Music
Tuition:$6800 instate, $26,000 out of state
This is one of the best music schools in the country. It's called "The Factory" and produces many great classical and jazz guitarists (mostly classical though). Not too pricey, but good luck getting in.

That's it for now, i'll update every so often on this, as I feel it's important for anyone who will be going on to get that music education instead of being a lazy-ass poor musician.

~Incidents
# 1
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/11/2005 5:35 am
The thing about that is that I really don't like metal. I like Jazz a whole lot, and most of my heroes are jazz-musicians. Joe Pass is my favorite guitarist ever, followed by Django Reinhardt, then John Mclaughlin, then Pat Metheny. I also love guys like Trane, Bird, and Miles; I personally think there is a large dropout rate because alot of ****ty musicians get accepted to Berklee not expecting a jazz education. I mean, if I were to not go to Berklee, my 2nd choice is the University of the Arts because of Jimmy Bruno, Pat Mercuri, and Pat Martino as teachers. Those are some heavy-hitters in the jazz scene!

~Incidents
# 2
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
01/11/2005 5:46 am
From what I hear Boston is a hella expensive place to live. Like $1400/month for a crappy little apartment. I wanted to go to Berklee at one point (still kinda do but more on that later), then I found out what it's like living there. It might not be too bad if you got a roommate or had really rich parents.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/11/2005 12:20 pm
Hey IH check out the music program here at Iowa, it is known nationally. I don't know if it will do want you want however I do know it is rated in the top ten nationally.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/11/2005 1:27 pm
I'd love to stay in the midwest for several reasons; I live there (Wisconsin), and the cost of tuition and cost of living is about 50% of the cost out east/west. I'll check out Iowa's music program, and I'm also currently looking to see if anything in Illinois or Minnesota fit my needs.

But yes, I am looking for a prestigious school. Thanks, Doc!

~Incidents
# 5
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/12/2005 4:35 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenOkay guys, so I've spent alot of time looking around for some nice guitar colleges out there, since I will be going to one. The obvious choice is Berklee (which is most likely where I'll go), but there are many in the field. Please, please, please add any guitar colleges you think are suitable for any musician looking for a further education.

The List-

Berklee College of Music
Tuition: I believe it was $18,000 when i checked
Known as the number one contemporary music college in the country. Modern music's "Julliard", as many call it.

~Incidents

I can tell you about my experience at Berklee, which I attended for 2 1/2 yrs. as a performance major. I was already in college as a Bio major, but was really spending more time playing my guitar than studying Bio. I'm not really into jazz, but I took some lessons from Lenny Breau- if you're heavy into jazz, I think you'd agree he's really unique and a legend in his own right. Anyway, he suggested I pursue a career in music and suggested Berklee- I think they were considered THE school for modern guitar in the late '70's. He wrote my letter of recommendation, and I was in w/out even an audition.

Anyway, they were heavily be-bop oriented; don't know what their curriculum is like now. They FORCED all guitar players to play with a "floating hand"- I like to anchor my hand on the bridge or sometimes my pinky, and I also hybrid pick.

I wouldn't go to Berklee unless you're a pretty good sight read-reader already unless you're willing to take sight-reading 101. I was playing for 8 yrs. already but was a lousy sight-reader (still am).

But I'm not slamming Berklee cuz I had to work hard; to tell ya the truth, I was in heaven having a guitar in my hands almost all my waking hrs. It was how rigid Berklee was in how they taught- it was THEIR WAY, or no way at all. They took any originality you had and sucked the soul out of you. To this day, I can almost tell after about 8 notes a Berklee player. Maybe things are different now; I really don't know. I sure hope they've added a bit of rock/blues just to have a bit more variety. As someone else said, there is a bit of snobbery at Berklee; the hardcore be-boppers can drive you insane. I was one of the few guitar players there with a solid body. Alot of the teachers were just graduated students themselves or seniors moon-lighting. One teacher told me he was getting paid $5/hr. Not alot even in 1978. As a performance major, you got 1 private lesson a week. My instructor didn't care if we were in tune or not, and was stoned all the time anyway, lol. Improv class was a nightmare for me- I'd play whatever I was hearing in my head or feeling, but the instructor would always stop me and tell me I should make the guitar sound like a horn! That was HIS way of playing. If I wanted my instrument to sound like a freaking horn, I woulda taken up the horn. I want a guitar to sound like a f****** guitar! It was crap like that that drove me nuts.

In arranging we were always given jazz standards to arrange like Green Dolphin Street- I'd piss off the teacher and arrange as a disco tune, lol. Even my fellow students thought that was funny. My teacher told me disco wasn't music. So then I tried a rock-ish bluesy kind of arrangement. Told the same thing. IT HAD TO BE JAAAAZ. Kinda of close minded in a school of learning. No room to stretch out. Yeah, the drop-out rate is high. I'd say more because of how they stifled your creativity. I knew some really smokin' players that dropped out for the same reasons I did- and the were jazz players!

The upside: theory, arranging, and ear training helped me alot (still have a lousy ear, lol). Gave me a whole different take on listening to music. Great clubs, HOT women. There was a Japanese trumpet player who was an instructor name "Tiger" who'd play gigs locally; he was kinda jazz/fusion and really smoked. I bet he let his students really stretch out. Great college town, you meet people from literally everwhere.

Unfortunately, I had pretty much the same teachers the time I was there- so after awhile, it was like torture. Constant battle about how I couldn't/shouldn't do things, and the change in how I picked drove me insane; they also insisted on a strict alternating picking style. No hybrid picking, no anchoring of the picking hand, no dampening of the strings (tell that to Al DiMeola, another Berlee dropout; the 2 classical tunes he did on his first coupla albums was straight out of Berklee's books.)

I've heard some CD's from Berklee graduates, they sound great, but they sound like BERKLEE players. Change the names on the disks, and you can't tell one from the other for the most part. It's my opinion that Berklee is riding it's reputation alone, not really for its quality of teaching. They're probably more famous for their dropouts than for any graduate they ever had. I hear they have a really good sound engineering course though.

I'm really not as bitter as I may sound. I know I would have regretted it if I didn't go. Berklee or not, I'm just not a great player. At my best, looking back, I'd say I was pretty damned good, just not good enough under my own standards. It was fun though. Just wasn't for me. If you love Bird, then Berklee may just be the place for you. Whatever the instrument or class, it was Bird, Bird, Bird. I was never crazy about Joe Pass, but did like learning some of his chord solos. I pretty much like most things on guitar, but man, they wouldn't even let me fingerpick! But again, things may have changed- maybe you should google them and see if there's a Berklee forum. Or maybe you'll find a current student respond. If I really had it to do over again, I would have simply joined a garage band, lol. Nah, it wasn't THAT bad, I really did learn some stuff, just wasn't allowed to play what I wanted. That's kinda like majoring in English and being forced to write only in the style of Hemingway.

Heard really good things about GIT. You mentioned Pat Martino- I really liked him. Have one of his albums (vinyl) buried somewhere. In New York I've heard that...I think it's called the Eastman School of Music or something...very good things from what I've heard. The "big-name" schools aren't necessarily the best. Education or not, you still may end up piss poor- as a musician anyway.

To tell you the truth, in the week (or less) I've been a member of this forum, I've seen more stuff to learn from than I did from Berklee. There's zillions of kick-ass guitar players now. Maybe you can go to college and major in something else and just take private lessons? I wouldn't rule it out having gone to a "real" music school myself. Good luck in your endeavor.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/13/2005 1:50 am
I thank you very much for your advice, I also looked up some berklee info on google and don't believe I'm all that interested in Berklee anymore. But don't get me wrong, I would never go to school for anything else; the plan is to go 4 years, get a Bachelor's Degree in Guitar Performance, and then get my Masters a few years later so I can (If a music career were to fail) be able to teach at a college. Once again, your advice (all of you) is much appreciated.

~Incidents

P.S- Doc, the University of Iowa School of Music web-page did not list the guitar in it's program. Do they only have traditional-instrument-students?
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2005 2:11 am
I think this is your way in:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~music/bios/departments/jazz.htm

However it may not be what you want.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 8
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/13/2005 3:23 am
yep, that's it! thanks!

~Incidents
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.