Whats the right way to do a pull-off ??

BluesShredder
BluesShredder
03/18/2001 9:42 am
Hello, when i pull-off i just lift my finger, but i saw a friend of mine who was actually pulling the string downwards and then lifting his finger, it sounds louder but is it the right way to do it??

Blues Shredder
Peter
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/19/2001 1:08 am
If you do nothing but lift your finger off the string for a pull-off, you're not going to get much sound at all. In fact, unless you're playing with extreme gain/distortion you'll hear next to nothing.

Your friend has the right idea. Pull your finger down off the string and put some twang to it.

-Christoph
# 2
cowman
cowman
04/03/2001 12:13 am
Man, it depends on whatsound you wanna get, if you want the pull of to be more subtle, just lift your finger. If you want it to be louder and clearer, then you must do what your friend does. The only problem with doing it is that sometimes you change the pitch of the first note, it may not be too notorious, but it's there. What I do is pull downwards the string at the same time that I lift it, that way you practically "pick" the next note without altering the pitch of the first one.
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Voxman.jpg
# 3
chrimsun
chrimsun
04/16/2001 5:45 pm
Slurs (more commonly called hammer-ons and pull-offs) should be performed with 50/50 effort between the fingers on the fret board. It takes the burden off of the pulling finger and keeps your hand in position. If you just pull with the one finger, your hand will want to turn up toward the head stock. If you're holding the string down with your index finger and pulling off with your ring finger, you will want to push with your index finger as well as pull with the ring finger. Of course, if you push too hard with the index finger(or push out of sync with the pulling finger) then the note held will go out of tune. The actions have to occur simultaneously. Pulling off to an open string rather than a fretted note is trickier.
At first you will have to really bend the string and then let it go, but over time you'll gain greater control, and it will just pop right off of the edge of your fingertip.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.