Is this the way?

JUSTSOMEGUY
JUSTSOMEGUY
12/03/2004 6:17 pm
Im trying to learn how to write better solos and i was wondering if taking shapes, Tap runs, Pentatonic licks ect i found in other songs and modifying them to make my own solos will this help or not?
# 1
JUSTSOMEGUY
JUSTSOMEGUY
12/03/2004 6:36 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraUsually, when you learn other runs, you end up encorporating them into your own playing in some way or another, but in slightly different ways. This helps to develop your own unique style. Write a solo that is your own style, and not someone elses.

Like write my own solo form scratch?
# 2
JUSTSOMEGUY
JUSTSOMEGUY
12/03/2004 7:45 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraIt depends how you define writing a solo from scratch. And what the process involves in your eyes.

I mean like creating my own licks from scales and putting them together into a solo, rather then modifying ones i learn from songs and putting them together.
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
12/03/2004 8:35 pm
Here's my opinion on writing solo's.....Don't think about it too much. Trying to use a certain mode or scale or technique is forcing it in my opinion, and a forced solo won't sound good. Just let it flow, jam on it, a solo will eventually take shape.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/03/2004 10:13 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKHere's my opinion on writing solo's.....Don't think about it too much. Trying to use a certain mode or scale or technique is forcing it in my opinion, and a forced solo won't sound good. Just let it flow, jam on it, a solo will eventually take shape.

Yeah, basically. Knowledge of what notes are in the same key as the rest of the song is always great, but you don't have to have a truckload of scales memorized to solo.

The last time I was in a band (four years ago) I didn't know much music theory. Everything I wrote and played was entirely by ear. I had never heard of a mode and the only scale I knew (minor pent) I didn't use.

A good ear is the single most valuable skill when writing any kind of music, especially solos.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/03/2004 11:23 pm
Try recording yourself humming a solo to your song. Then go back and learn what you hummed.
The major advantage is you aren't limited by scales or solos you play automatically from practicing scales etc....

Just sing whatever comes naturally and then copy it.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.