Rap / Pop

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/16/2004 4:28 pm
Its not all that bad.

I downloaded some MTV award performance. Kid rock, RUN DMC, and Aerosmith. The whole collaboration is awesome!! The rapping first section compliments Aerosmiths rock part really well. And the rap section has some nice overdriven gutiar riffs!!

I think Ive embarased myself a few times on this site by admitting to like some 'pop' bands. BUT.. I just love guitar, and even songs like "Fighter" by Christina Aquilera catch my attension because in the background they have nice guitar parts that even proper rock bands would be proud of. Infact doesnt wots his name... play on fighter... guy who goes out with Carmen Electra... used to be in.. umm... Janes addiction?

It also bugs me when people dont appreciate good ballads by pop stars. God half them are written and composed by the pros, not the titz n ass female vocalists thast front them. Good Example would "Everytime" by Britney. Its very cleverly composed, includes a child like wynd up radio thingy.. you know.. the one youd listen to as a baby in your cot! I think briteny is a damn good singer!

It just occured to me that pop music these days is better than it used to be. Man there is way less novelty acts anyway. You watch old episodes of Top Of The Pops (main UK music show) and all you see is novelty acts, people dressed up n stuff like that.

Ok.. this one might kill my credibilty... but "My Place" by nelly. Its actually good! Nice blend of 3 vocalists, ncie beat, cool relaxing song. Something you dont get with rock. Im not into RAP as such, and I hate most of Nellys stuff, all everything by guys like EMinem etc. But just every now and then some pop songs take my liking about at least Im admitting it!

:) Rant Over!
# 1
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
11/16/2004 5:01 pm
ya not alone! all my friends includin me have a general distaste for rap/pop an especially emo. but can all find songs which are good! always enjoy a bit of outcast or kelis despite havvin grown up listenin to Nirvana an still only really listenin to guitar based music. i also love norah jones now that is amazingly relaxin, an its very important to have music to relax to!
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/16/2004 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: Jimmi431I also love norah jones now that is amazingly relaxin, an its very important to have music to relax to!

Well, Norah Jones I would put more under Jazz than Pop or Rap. I mean, her phrasings on the piano are pretty complicated for pop music.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
11/16/2004 7:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseI think briteny is a damn good singer!

Ever seen her actually try to sing live? Briteny is the worst out of all of them in my opinion. she can't sing and she only looks good when she's all done up for a performance or airbrushed in a magazine. I think Christina Aguliera is much hotter and shes actually got a killer voice.

I'm not a fan of most of the "crunk" rap like Lil Jon stuff, or a fan of Nelly or Jay-Z. As far as mainstream rap goes, i think NAS is the best. I like his delivery and the way he tells his stories. He's not just talking about cars, girls, jewlery, and guns. He comes up with interesting ways to get his message across and the beats are real straightforward. Try listening to the song "Rewind". In it, he's telling his story from end to beginning and does it perfectly. Pretty cool stuff.
# 4
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/16/2004 8:28 pm
I think britney plays upon the whole innocence thing... which evokes memories of childhood for me, I think thats why I like her voice, its really relaxing and fun.
Yea christina is the papa (scottish phrase for best) when it comes to singing!!

Im still waiting on someone coming and slagging me for this post!!

Oh yea and outkast. There song and video for "roses" is utter brilliance!! Its very artistic!! I think outkast are extremely talented!
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/16/2004 10:18 pm
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709I'm not a fan of most of the "crunk" rap like Lil Jon stuff, or a fan of Nelly or Jay-Z. As far as mainstream rap goes, i think NAS is the best.

One of my good friends is really into rap, he keeps telling me he's going to "Educate me on good music." I'd tell him his music sucks my ass, but he's like 6'5", 300 lbs, and on the football team, so screw that.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
11/17/2004 2:47 am
Ms. Spears... is not a singer in my book. Her range is an ocatve and 1/2. Just us normal folk have a 2 octave range. I'm sorry, I respect like everything else you were saying, except that. I mean I can accept a skank that can sing... like Christina Aguilera.
Just look at it from a frustrated musician's prespective. Like if you've ever seen a really good band... then turned on the radio and heard Simple Plan or Good Charrolette. Okay, so you're a singer with a crazy range and ill skills... then having to listen to Britney.

# 7
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/17/2004 8:17 am
No one's gonna scold you Axle.
This is a guitar forum, so everyone has names with all this heavy metal stuff artists, they need their "credibility" (some don't have any btw), blah blah blah.
But who says you can't like simple stuff, and who says that guitar only becomes fun to listen to when the techniqometer hits "Eruption."?
If you ask me, each and every genre of music has good and bad acts and everything in between.
I like a lot of Whitney Houston stuff. Oh, so she's pop and that means I'm weak? Suck my toes!
I like Eminem. I LOVE "Sing for the moment", and as an extension of that I've come to know about, and love, Aerosmith's "Dream On", which is what Em used for "Sing for the Moment".If like me you feel Em has nice taste, hit Enter on your keyboard. First was Dido, then Dream on. Like 'em.
I hate BLING BLING. YADA YADA GOLD, YADA YADA RIMS, YADA YADA :rolleyes: MATAKO!!(That's swahili for a***hole).
# 8
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/17/2004 11:32 am
My names Axl*** not axle!!!!! *throws hissy fit*

THANKS FOR THE LAME ASS SECURITY! AM GOIN HOME *storms off*
# 9
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/17/2004 11:34 am
Always wanted to do that!!! :)

Well talking of getting scorned, I remember a few months back I post that I thought the black eyed peas were quite cool and I go smackeddown!! :P

In my house, I listen to rock. But in my car.. with no CD player.. I listen to the radio and all the pop stuff gion about!
# 10
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/17/2004 5:05 pm
I don't like most pop/rap stuff , but there has to be few cool songs that I like.

I'm currently working on a project with a rap band ... But I always include a hot a** shredding solo in every song. ;)
# 11
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
11/17/2004 5:38 pm
hey yeah i know norah jones aint rap or pop, was just makin example of listenin other genres than rock!
will probly get hunted down and shot for sayin this but i dislike shredding. to me it is the equivilant of rappers goin "bling bling" "mah biatch" "im a mother ****** PIMP". it has as much soul as that as i reckon the people playin are just hammering out all the notes from all the scales they ever learnt. for example steve vai's album err passion an warfare is terrible there is one good tune an that is errrr cant remember for love or somethin an that other one where the kid is meant to be playin to his class has a really cool riff in it but other than that its just lift music played fast. cos theyre is no emphaisi on good song writing, just fast, technical playing.
p.s this is just an opinion (not that it matters i dont reckon you really would care that much) an i dont include players like slash who increase the quality of a song by including a solo rather than players who try to make a context for a solo by wiritng a song around it.

now to sit back and wait for the abuse..... haha
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 12
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/17/2004 7:29 pm
These rap "mah bitch" , "im a mother ****** PIMP" kinda songs are really cool when you're in the gym .... However, heavy metal is still my fav when I work out.
# 13
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/18/2004 2:02 pm
Hey I totally agree about shredding. It lacks meaning and soul. Ive downloaded clcks of these guitar wizards, michael angelo I think one guy was called, and while its interested to watch.. after 5 mins thats it. It aint music to me!
# 14
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/19/2004 9:29 am
This is how I judge shredding:
If I wasn't a dude who wants to play guitar when I grow up, and I wasn't watching you and getting overawed at your sheer speed, would I listen?
If I'd listen, then it's cool. Otherwise, like someone has said on this forum, you're just wanking.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.