Nirvana

guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
11/13/2004 2:49 am
Nirvana is sweet. If Kurt hadn't died theyd still be rockin out and making sweet albums.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 1
11/13/2004 4:02 am
I like nirvana and I think there good muisitions but I hate the fact
that they kinda started that three chord thing and rock just kinda turnd
to pop
:(
rock & roll ant muisic
its a way of life
:cool:
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/13/2004 4:32 am
Originally Posted by: 1791I like nirvana and I think there good muisitions but I hate the fact
that they kinda started that three chord thing and rock just kinda turnd
to pop
:(

I think that "3 chord thing" can be attributed to AC/DC...but those guys rule, so no hard feelings.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/13/2004 5:27 am
Nirvana started nothing.

But they sure as hell ended up as an inescapable musical catalyst.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/13/2004 4:55 pm
Alot of people (in our circle) hate nirvana for killing the whole "hair band" "guitar hero" thing. But when you look back on the rock scene of 1990 and early '91 there really wasn't much to left to kill. It had kinda burnt itself out already. And any guitar heroes still around deserve to be because their success (as limited in scope as it might be compared to marketed trash) is attributable to staying power and fan bases.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 5
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/13/2004 11:34 pm
Most songs are based on 3 chords.. some of the best songs are! Its what you add to those chords that makes the song.

I think Nirvana would have been considerably LESS famous if kurt hadnt died.
# 6
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/13/2004 11:39 pm
I duno if Id blame niravan for the decline of the hair metal, guitar god era though, I mean **** rock was getting kinda old by them.
I always wonder how differnt things would be if guns n roses had lastest a bit longer. They had so much power in the late 80s, early 90s, if only it had continued then I bet music would be way differnt.
I mean.. theres actually few bansd out there that Ive heard state GnR as an influence!! The manics are the only band Ive heard say GnR anyway.. which is kinda weird!
# 7
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
11/14/2004 12:48 am
ya, i mean nirvana was just the start of a new era, they didnt actually kill the old stuff, but music has changed a lot. I mean even punk, it sounded a lot different when the ramones played it.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/14/2004 3:48 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseI duno if Id blame niravan for the decline of the hair metal, guitar god era though, I mean **** rock was getting kinda old by them.
I always wonder how differnt things would be if guns n roses had lastest a bit longer. They had so much power in the late 80s, early 90s, if only it had continued then I bet music would be way differnt.
I mean.. theres actually few bansd out there that Ive heard state GnR as an influence!! The manics are the only band Ive heard say GnR anyway.. which is kinda weird!

GNR, my favorite band of all time, is a perfect example of rock of the early 90's burning itself out. GNR co-existed with Nirvana, and faded into nothingness around '94. Nirvana had nothing to do with their demise though. Tensions between Axl and the rest of the band had split them all up. Izzy was gone and was replaced by Gilby, Duff drank until his pancreas burst, Slash wanted to keep rocking and Axl wanted take the band in some new musical direction, etc, etc.. They would've destructed as a band regardless of new musical trends coming to the forefront of what was "popular".
My YouTube Profile
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/14/2004 4:12 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggAlot of people (in our circle) hate nirvana for killing the whole "hair band" "guitar hero" thing. But when you look back on the rock scene of 1990 and early '91 there really wasn't much to left to kill. It had kinda burnt itself out already. And any guitar heroes still around deserve to be because their success (as limited in scope as it might be compared to marketed trash) is attributable to staying power and fan bases.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that the whole hair band era was pretty lame to begin with. It basically summarized the whole problem with the 80s; excess in excess and flash over substance. A local radio station has a "Hair Band Hour", and it makes me feel ill listening to some of these songs. Basically these songs were all vehicles for extended guitar solos, which, in theory, sounds great, but which were generally poorly executed. When the lead guitarist wasn't fiddling away at some neoclassical riff at 345435 nps, the singer was screeching like his life depended on it.

Was anything revolutionary or novel done in that musical era? Nope. At least, not in the rock genre. Personally, I'm glad that Nirvana came along and destroyed the hair band scene; put it out of its misery. They came and brought music back to what it really was about; the songs, not the solos. Call it blasphemy, but a wicked solo can't save a crappy song, whereas a great song can live without a solo. And a mindblowing solo will just exponentially increase the value of a great song (e.g. Stairway). Nirvana spoke for a generation that was fed up with all the stupid solos and showing off, and showed that people really wanted to hear great rock music, not some wanker noodling on a guitar for 5 mins of a 5:15 song.

However, I don't like the music that has since been spawned in Nirvana's wake. I think it's been taken too far in the other direction, where mainstream rockers are now afraid to do anything inventive with their instruments and satisfy themselves with 6 drop-D power chord songs with every dial on their Boss MT-2 turned to 11.

--end rant--

[QUOTE=Axl_Rose]I think Nirvana would have been considerably LESS famous if kurt hadnt died.

Disagree. I think that, perhaps, Kurt Cobain would have been less legendary if he hadn't died, but it's not like there was anything left to become famous after Cobain died.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 10
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
11/14/2004 7:03 am
I think that a lot of hair metal from the 80's can be compared to most of today's rap...songs about girls, getting wasted, and a lifestyle that most people will never live to know. I mean sure there was the occassional cheesy power ballad, but nothing really meaningful. Kurt wrote about real personal issues like depression, addiction and such; issues that everyone can relate to at some time or another. Like Eggman said, they brought music back to being about the songs...and songs are about expressing yourself, not dancing around in skin tight leather pants, singing about strip clubs, and "cherry pie"! Now if only another Nirvana would come around and do the same thing with rap that it did with hair bands. But that's another discussion for another time....
# 11
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/14/2004 12:37 pm
I spose grunge then.. or nirvanas content was more honest than **** rock.. but you cant discount the fact there was some great 80s bands with some great songs. Ok they were cheesy but it was exciting in a way, least when your young it was, seeing your heros do outrages things.

I think kurts death fueled there popularity though, no doubt about it. I never liked nirvana all that much!
# 12
11/14/2004 10:56 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanI'd say that the whole hair band era was pretty lame to begin with. It basically summarized the whole problem with the 80s; excess in excess and flash over substance. A local radio station has a "Hair Band Hour", and it makes me feel ill listening to some of these songs. Basically these songs were all vehicles for extended guitar solos, which, in theory, sounds great, but which were generally poorly executed. When the lead guitarist wasn't fiddling away at some neoclassical riff at 345435 nps, the singer was screeching like his life depended on it.

Was anything revolutionary or novel done in that musical era? Nope. At least, not in the rock genre. Personally, I'm glad that Nirvana came along and destroyed the hair band scene; put it out of its misery. They came and brought music back to what it really was about; the songs, not the solos. Call it blasphemy, but a wicked solo can't save a crappy song, whereas a great song can live without a solo. And a mindblowing solo will just exponentially increase the value of a great song (e.g. Stairway). Nirvana spoke for a generation that was fed up with all the stupid solos and showing off, and showed that people really wanted to hear great rock music, not some wanker noodling on a guitar for 5 mins of a 5:15 song.

talk about crapy songs there songs were crapy songs without solos
I mean the same thing over and over its like listening to a brocken record.
shure I like to listen to nirvana every now and then but thats not rock
not reall rock anyway
:mad:
rock & roll ant muisic
its a way of life
:cool:
# 13
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
11/15/2004 7:04 pm
I had heard that Kurt Cobain was one of Joe Satriani's students. Don't know if that's true or not. Satch has a long list of students that make it in the music industry. Cobain acually had a knowledge of guitar, even though most of his playing doesn't show it. Kind of like the dude from Weezer, a total dork that plays cheesy songs, but he can shred with the best of them. He just chooses not too.....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 14
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
11/17/2004 8:14 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI heard Cobain was self taught.

ya, i think he was. I just did a biography on him. But I don't know for sure.

# 15
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
11/17/2004 10:26 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraThe only thing that annoys me is when people say Kurt Cobain was a guitar god, and "oh so great at playing guitar, a legend." Kurt Cobain was such an overated guitarist.

To tell you the truth, i dont think ive ever heard anyone say that Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist. Maybe thats just me though.....
# 16
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/17/2004 10:45 pm
Im with Iamthe_eggman on this one all the way !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 17
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/18/2004 4:19 am
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709not dancing around in skin tight leather pants, singing about strip clubs, and "cherry pie"!

Call me a loser, but I kinda miss hearin' songs about gettin' loaded and gettin' laid, without all the depression.
My YouTube Profile
# 18
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/18/2004 2:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709To tell you the truth, i dont think ive ever heard anyone say that Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist. Maybe thats just me though.....

He always gets in best guitarist polls, and is widely considered one of the best. It bugs me too because I just dont see it!!

Eggman - Please tell me your not including GnR in hair bands with no substance!

I'll say it once.. and say it again.. VELVET REVOLVER are the future of rock!!! They are the only modern rock band with the ideals of 70s and 80s bands. They still sing about sex drugs and rock n roll but its not cheesy!!!!
# 19
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/18/2004 2:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseEggman - Please tell me your not including GnR in hair bands with no substance!

No, I wouldn't, because their songs were actually well composed and thought out, probably due to Axl's piano; Axl sure can screech, but his style was unique even in the 80s; Slash couldn't play 345435 nps if his life depended on it (but that's a good thing); and I gotta respect any band that starts off as an Aerosmith cover band (even though I don't like Aerosmith; it takes a certain amount of chutzpah).

Plus, where are all these cheesy hair bands now? Playing seedy bars in front of a crowd of 15. If GNR got back together, they could pack out Yankee Stadium for 3 weeks straight without breaking a sweat.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.