first practice.....Ugh

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
09/19/2004 10:22 pm
Well, a drummer kid in my school came up to me and asked to start a band with his former guitar player and another bassist and anyways there in 9th the bassist is in 10th grade and im in 11th, i thought we could work something out but........the problem was i am a good gutiarist but they are ok but nothing to impressive. ! gutiarist played through a little practice amp and everytyhing just sounded bad, the drummer was average nothing unique just basic beats, and they wanted to play some songs off the bat kinda that werent songs that i really want to play, the bass player was decent but he is into punk and stuff and thwey didnt seem much into it and i dont know... i want a trio anyways but im gonna see what happens...... what makes practices work better?
Mike ;)
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2004 10:26 pm
The secret is to keep at it dude !

Great band chemistry is like everything else, it takes work.

Just try to enjoy your self, practice hard (like 2 hrs, 3 time a week and don't screw about, actually get down to work) and don't fall into that old ego thing.

Oh and good luck !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/19/2004 10:39 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon don't screw about, actually get down to work

THIS is extremely important!!! If you're band members just sit there and twiddle around playing stuff like the mario theme during down time at the jam session, don't be afraid to take some initiative and say "Guys, let's practice_________" whatever your song is.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/20/2004 12:30 am
Jolly and Simon both make very valid points, so i'm not going to repeat what they said but I second it.

I've played with musicians who are really bad, and you just learn to work with what tools they have until you find someone better... or they get better. One of my bands has gone through 2 drummers that way. 1st one was a prick, 2nd one was "rhythmically"*sp* challenged, and we've finally settled on a third one who is totally hot. So i'm happy.
Also as the best player in the band, use that to play what you want to play. I, personally, always do whatever my lead guitarrist asks me to do because he's better than me (the bastard).

Two repeat what Dr. Simon said, because I feel that its the most important is to stick with it. Chemistry between band members take quite a while to develop. You'll probably end up having lots of fun along the way too, and you might even get laid! :cool:

Peace.

# 4
spanky10940
spanky10940
09/20/2004 6:54 pm
yeah - I don't wanna kick a dead horse... but.... :D

practice is everything. have a plan and stick to it. Here's what I do, maybe it will help you. I find a few songs that everyone can agree upon and then I burn a disk of the music and give everyone the sheet music (or tab, whatever they can use) from there, it's up to them. Maybe you're in a situation where you need to take the lead, which will be good because you can play what you want and drag the rest of 'em along screaming and kicking.

I find that if it's structured, you'll get so much more out of it rather than everyone trying to force each other into playing things that only 1 person can play... not very productive

Good luck and keep at it... it takes a while to find people you can gel with, but when you do, so it's sooo worth the effort. Lastly, keep us updated, I'd be interested to hear how things are progressing for you.
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/05/2004 4:50 pm
I'd say stick with it, at least for now. Worst thing that'll happen is you all go your own ways, but even with that happening you've got a possibility at getting your name somewhere, people will hear of you and ask for your abilities which can lead to where the real chemistry is. All the people I've played with (never been in a band, just jammed with people) weren't exactly my style nor was the chemistry all that impressive, but I stuck with it in hopes of getting my name into the open. Of course that didn't happen and I'm not trying to go anywhere right now as I'm toning my skills that much more so I'll have something unique and capable to offer. Just stick with it, bands are like love lives, your first date is most likely not going to be with your future spouse. Call it experience.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/09/2004 11:04 pm
This is your first time in a band right? Well this means that none of you guys have experience... I reccomend finding someone that has been in bands at your school (doesn't matter what style), and that does have experience to come in there and whoop people into shape. The problem with you doing it is a band member looking back to you and saying, "who are you to tell me what to do?" If the whole band knows it isn't working, talk it over with them. Chances are a teacher at your school may have been in a band. Just have a few rehearsals with someone that is indifferent, and outside of the band, and then move on from there. This will help all of you guys bond more, rather than revolt agaibst a self appointed "band leader."
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
10/28/2004 2:21 am
What... You think U2 sounded good the first time they practiced? The Edge couldn't even play guitar...
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 8
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
10/29/2004 11:17 am
thats not so bad! one first (and last as it happened) band practice consisted of me, a singer from my old band (now on guitar) a bass player who could play all this loud soloy type stuff but only in the key of A (it compeletly threw him the idea of just moving the pattern) and a drummer who reall wanted to be a guitarist. we booked a practice room for 4 hours i left after 2! the old singer (who was the band cough err leader) had been in the pub all day and had been on the old wacky tabcy an was already ill so was in no mood to do anythin. it was hell, everyone played their own thing, and refused to even do a simple cover like paranoid or use one of my old bands simpelest songs just to get the band working together so that we could at least play somethin together. since then ive not been in an electric band! its been all acoustic, though im gettin a hankerin to play a little more loudly again.
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 9
ckandes1
ckandes1
11/05/2004 3:22 am
i never get to jam, ever. ever. actually, i got to twice ever ever. but that was a year ago, and i have improved incredibly since then (which doesnt mean i'm good yet haha) but i just never get a chance it SUCKS
[FONT=Courier New]
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
B||-----------------------------|---------------------||
G||*--------7h8-7---------------|--------------5-----*||
D||*------------------7h8-7-----|--------5--------7--*||
A||---0--0---------0---------0--|--8--7-----7---------||
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
:cool: Ckandes1
[/FONT]
# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/22/2004 12:52 pm
Dude,my first PRACTICE with my first BAND was really having FUN with my first musically inclined FRIENDS.

Dont feel obligation of any kind until your playing within a true band...
A true band includes FUN,FRIENDS,PRACTICE,RESPONSIBILITY and lastly MUSIC.Why music last?Because a BAND can't form music until the many pre-requisites are met...until they are,you are JAMMING and jamming around with different people will lead to those many pre-requisites of a band.

So in conclusion...KEEP JAMMING!
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
audioanimal
audioanimal
11/25/2004 4:27 pm
**WARNING: NO BS ADVISE FOLLOWS. BE SCARED, BE VERY SCARED**

Pick 3 tunes. Burn a CD for everyone.

Everyone go home and work on it before the next practice.

Next Practice:

Go through all 3 tunes, and pick out the one ya'll suck at the least. If you have one that doesn't suck, that's even better.

Now, commit to working on that one tune until it is good. If that means playing the intro over and over again for 2 hours each practice, than admit the level you are at, and work on it until it's good.

Take the next part (chorus, verse, measure, whatever) and work on it until it is good. Connect the two parts together and work on them until they are good.

Rinse, repeat until the whole song sounds good.

If it takes more than 3 rehearsals to get one tune down "like the CD" good, then something not worth fixing is wrong. Either pick an easier tune, or find better people to play with. If the 2nd song doesn't come together faster/easier, ditto.

If you are the one holding things back, admit it to yourself and the others, and go home and woodshed until you can play the tune good.

When you come back to jam with the band, and they haven't found anyone better, you've just help improve things. If they have found someone else, then find some other people to play with, only now you have a tune you can play good enough for other people to stand listening to you.

Don't talk about things being good/great/awesome and plan your world tour when things really suck. Be honest, talk about it, and figure out how to make it better. You might need outside help (manager, producer, teacher, parent etc) to help you with this.

If I made you cry, good. Pain, suffering, and any kind of passion makes for good music in the long run. Hope to hear some from you soon.

Peace Hope Love and Joy
-Rick
Play what you hear
Listen to what you play
Does it sound good?
# 12
zackspazz
zackspazz
12/01/2004 8:12 pm
Stick with playing (practising ) something easy. Maybe a 3 chord original, some ac/dc, mary had a little lamb? Keep it simple in the begining and it will be way more fun and productive.
# 13
HeyDace
HeyDace
12/20/2004 10:48 am
Remember the golden rule: K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid). I joined a new band that got tapped by a promotor. He supplied space and equipment, all new. He wanted us to learn 10 songs. Just 10. My friend and I were at least 10 years older than the others. The others wanted to thrash, we wanted top 40, easy music you hear everyday. We tried to comprimise but it didn't work out and the promotor dropped us. My Friend and I left the band and started another. We were booking gigs 4 months later. Because we kept it simple. After the first year we had groupies :D. The band got a percentage of the cover charge. We averaged $700 a night (4 guys) and played 3 nights a week. I left after 3 years to get a real job (my girlfriend was pregnant) that was 18 years ago. So there are actually 2 lessons here, K.I.S.S and don't knock up your girlfriend. :)
# 14
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/19/2005 5:46 am
Practiceing the first time with a band is like the first time you picked up your guitar.

Just jamming to off the wall stuff is a very productive tool.

Everyone is going to want to do different things. Mabey you need to have a band meeting about what each member is interested in getting out of a band. All members need to be clear about what is most important to them to get out of a band. Out of all the things that you and the rest of your band will be wanting to do; surely there is one goal that you all can agree on. Set aside all other goals for now and focus on reaching that goal.

For example lets say that all of the members of the band want to get more attention from chicks by being in a band. Find out what music chicks at your school like, and as a band create a set based off of that information. From that point you will have a healthy band, and cohesion.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 15
ake
ake
02/16/2005 4:16 am
Ace is right. If you can't be the leader, find one that has the plan, vision or passion to chart the course. Sitting around wanking is fun but a waste of time if you have any ambition at all. I've been kicked out of bands because I didn't fit the profile that the leader had in mind. Of course my feelings were hurt but bands are like buses; one comes along about every ten minutes. It isn't hard to find people you like to play with, just ask around. If you practice and get REALLY good, you will have to turn bands down because you will be BUSY.

Guitars save lives!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.