wanted to learn bout chords

moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
09/01/2004 5:19 pm
hey...lol i was juss wonderin...its buggin me that i know only my basic chords and wanted to learn bout chords....how do i begin?? juss overwhelmin when i dont understand the theory aspect as well.....need sum guidance..any advice would be cool
# 1
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/01/2004 6:44 pm
Well, do you want to learn chords or about chords?
To learn chords, you don't really need theory, just memory and practice.
To learn about chords, start with basic music/chord theory.
Theory explanations are all over the internet. Good luck!

Edit: But then with music theory, you get so much more than just the
reason some chords have 7's in them and so on, you learn why they
are built the way they are, how they relate to eachother and much more.
So if you have the interest and patience, study study study!
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/01/2004 8:46 pm
Worry about chords less and lead more. It's pretty much impossible to get any recognition as a guitarist without a little solo now and then and the basic chords aren't even used in most styles of music (besides the root/fifth/octave we've all come to love). Besides, once you get decent finger strength/dexterity learning new chords usually takes no more than five seconds.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/02/2004 3:43 am
Moved to Theory. Hope that's right!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 4
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
09/02/2004 4:29 pm
sorry man..wish i could help u on the theory part but for most of the time i use my ear to figure out chords..
Chords are very important to me..like if you listen to classical music then u will see that they play a big role because the lead isnt very much without the chords..well thats my opinion tho

(if this post doesnt make any sense its because my brain is fried from this english test i took....wayy to much thinking for me lol..)
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 5
Seaweed
Seaweed
09/03/2004 2:57 am
Chords, 3 or more notes (a triad) that make a particular harmonial sound. Chord theory could be simplified to this: What makes a chord sound the way it does, therefore, what makes a chord a chord? Let's look at the key of G for a sec. "G" consist of the three notes G, B, & D. G is the root note, B is the major third and D is the perfect fifth. The notes in G are G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, and, to make it an octave, G again. Some real quick food for thought, if you wanted to build a Gadd9 (Gsus2) chord, this is what you would do. You would count all the way up to the 9th note in the scale (diatonic/major scale), and that note is A. You now add that to your old chord of G. Which should give you these notes right here: G, B, D, & A. I like to barr my chords so you would do something like if you are familiar with E(dominant)7, slide that up to the third fret using your index finger barr it there. Then slide your pinky all the way up to the 5th fret of the 4th string (D), and that will be your Gadd9. It's a wee bit of a stretch, but it's all good. --:) Let me know if this is helpful, if you need me to do more illustrations or anything let me know. I'm kinda tired right now, but I when I'm completely awake--I make alot more sense. Jah. Take care, God bless, and...
Shock on,
SeAwEeD
Too hardcore for most!:)
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.