View post (wanted to learn bout chords)

View thread

Seaweed
Seaweed
09/03/2004 2:57 am
Chords, 3 or more notes (a triad) that make a particular harmonial sound. Chord theory could be simplified to this: What makes a chord sound the way it does, therefore, what makes a chord a chord? Let's look at the key of G for a sec. "G" consist of the three notes G, B, & D. G is the root note, B is the major third and D is the perfect fifth. The notes in G are G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, and, to make it an octave, G again. Some real quick food for thought, if you wanted to build a Gadd9 (Gsus2) chord, this is what you would do. You would count all the way up to the 9th note in the scale (diatonic/major scale), and that note is A. You now add that to your old chord of G. Which should give you these notes right here: G, B, D, & A. I like to barr my chords so you would do something like if you are familiar with E(dominant)7, slide that up to the third fret using your index finger barr it there. Then slide your pinky all the way up to the 5th fret of the 4th string (D), and that will be your Gadd9. It's a wee bit of a stretch, but it's all good. --:) Let me know if this is helpful, if you need me to do more illustrations or anything let me know. I'm kinda tired right now, but I when I'm completely awake--I make alot more sense. Jah. Take care, God bless, and...
Shock on,
SeAwEeD
Too hardcore for most!:)