Picking

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
08/24/2004 9:00 am
With how long I've been playing guitar (5 years) I should definitely know this by now, but is it better to pick from the wrist or with as little wrist motion as possible?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/24/2004 11:13 pm
"Better" is a word that can't really be used here. The answer is what ever works for you. Some folks like to use wrist motion so they can get around to all the strings easier (and various other reasons...), others like to keep their wrist using no motion and just have the thumg and index finger moving, because you tend to tire out quicker when wrist picking.

If you've been playing for 5 years, then you probably can play relatively well, and know what you like better. Experiment with your picking technique, eventually you will have something that works.

Hope that helps!
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
08/25/2004 12:54 am
I should clarify- by "better" I was wondering which is more/less likely to develop carpal tunnel or other such ailments and which is more efficient for speed. The first part more than the second.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
pikengren
pikengren
08/26/2004 12:07 am
ace is 100% right about that, whatever works best for you.
i was comfortable using my thumb and finger, with little wrist movement. and i started playing with a guy that that had the wrist technique, and he was good at it, and i was so impressed with it, that i tried to learn that one, and forget about mine.
i didn't have good results. i did finally get better at it, though, and it is useful, so i guess what i'm trying to say is don't throw the technique you are comfortable with out the window, if you want to learn a new one, practice them both.
if you can change between the two at will, you may be able to reap the rewards of both, and not rely to heavily on one. i knew anothe guy that actually didn't move his wrist of fingers, but his whole forearm from the elbow. i wouldn't feel comfortable with it, but it worked for him.
# 4
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/26/2004 1:55 am
Originally Posted by: HammurabiI should clarify- by "better" I was wondering which is more/less likely to develop carpal tunnel or other such ailments and which is more efficient for speed. The first part more than the second.

I guess that fore-arm picking is the most likely to result in an ailment, since you are using more muscles, and those are the same muscles you use extensively throughout the day.

Now wrist picking might be the easiest for speed for most, but you tend to tire out quickly. I don't know however, if it will give you carpal tunnel (I don't think it's very likely, though I know fore arm picking can be).

Just using finger and thumb is generally harder for speed, but if you work on it long enough, then you can play passages much cleaner (non-sloppy). This is also the least likely to result in an ailment (I believe).
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 5
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
09/01/2004 4:26 am
I like to use my fingers only, and plant my pinky. It would be tough in that case to get carpel tunnel.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.