Are you attracted to the rockstar lifestyle?

Joseph
Joseph
02/23/2001 6:20 pm
Do you feel that alot of the times when love becomes a casualty, so does the music? For anyone whos a serious musician, its safe to say that our music is based on much more than impressing our peers, or merely attracting the opposite female. Its based on our love of music, and once we establish exactly what inspires us, exactly what brings our personality to its level of completeness, theres no turning back, and we always try to find a way to enhance our style at any means possible. Through music, its safe to say that we gain a better perspective of who we are inside, because we are dealing with so many different emotions, that its hard to deny our true feelings once we find them.

But still, sometimes there are some very natural experiences that we can't deny, especially when it comes to meeting new people. We all meet the occasional hard core rock fanatic who really loves our music and is attracted to the excitement of it all, and then again we always meet the type of female who really respects the way you carry yourself as a musician. Its hard to meet the right people in life, the type of person you wan't to spend the rest of your life with, especially if her intentions arent pure, but because of her good looks we tend to go along for the ride. Its hard to know when you've met the right person, and if they are attracted to you for the right reasons, but on the road, have you ever started or felt prone to start certain relationships that seemed disasterous from the beginning? The type of relationships that from your perspective were meant to be more of just a casualty, but you could tell that her intentions were much less?

Then again, perhaps it doesnt bother most people as much as I think...

-Joseph,:).
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/23/2001 7:08 pm
Sex, Drugs & Rock n' Roll don't you understand? It goes with the job :)
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 2
theman
theman
03/28/2001 1:20 am
I couldn't agree with you more joseph.
# 3
sixstringshredda
sixstringshredda
04/24/2001 7:46 pm
word
the prettiest white daisies
soaking up the red...
she always loved daisies;
but they look more like roses now...
# 4
Joseph
Joseph
04/25/2001 1:42 am
Well, I guess a lot of people were confused with where I was going with this post...

So to make the question a little bit more clear, well basically a lot of us who start casual relationships tend to view music in the same way. Its rather habitual, where we just wan't to be in the moment, and where longevity never even crosses our minds. Its rather sad that several musicans today have admitted to the fact that they are just looking for a number one hit, and thats it. Being that they just wan't their moment in the spotlight, where hard work is thrown out the window. Where they're intentions are based primarily on being in the right place at the right time. (cough cough, Sugar Ray.)

Being that music is very personal to us, we tend to use it to get us fame and notoriety, and then once we found our place in the spotlight, we're done. Its hard to believe that this way of thinking has caught on, because what really matters is whether or not you're at peace with yourself at the end of the day, planning a future in something you love instead of relying on a few lucky moments. I guess the overall question deals with whether or not you feel because of your need for "The casual human relationship" this has effected your music in anyway, or do you know someone who feels this way? Believe me Ive seen a lot of different people up close to think this way, not only about music but pertaining to life as well, and its not pretty. But in some ways, they can't help it, because its in their blood...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/25/2001 3:38 am
Well, Sugar Ray is basicly a collection of fat @$$es, and they are definately cashing in. All of the songs on their album cite the record company (whichever label they're on) as the song writer. But I don't think they have any trouble living with themselfs.

I think we all have different standards for ourselfs and our music. As to what is "the right way" if their can be such a think, well that's in the air.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
04/25/2001 4:54 am
Bands like Sugar Ray, I wouldn't go as far as to say they have trouble living with themselves, but a lot of bands in their position will never find out what they were truly capasble of, and how far their true potential could have taken them, because we don't always get second chances. But then again for the most part, a lot of these "Rockstars" probably don't even give it a second thought.. Its not that im a disgruntled fan whos constantly waiting for the past to repeat itself, but its more than obvious that a lot of the music today lacks integrity, and a lot of people are willing to accept that because its in front of them. I'm just looking for something more....I agree, of course that we all have different standards as to whats right and wrong, its just that there are so many artists today who refuse to try find out what that is.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/25/2001 11:48 pm
Of course.
I make the music I make because I need to, I find it satisfying, and I wouldn't be happy if I was doing otherwise. I'm more than willing to do other projects (keeps my stuff fresh, and helps out in the money deptartment), but mostly I'm in this because I love my music.

Now as for other people...
I think the general masses really don't care what goes into making honest music, they really can't hear the difference for the most part. Otherwise I think you'de see far less support for Napster (we afterall know what goes into writing and recording music and can understand when people don't want it just given away). You would also see a lack of what most of us probably consider to be "crap" bands, because people would know the difference. Songwriting, dynamics, feeling, and musicianship would all matter... it would be economicly viable to be original and creative.

But that isn't the world we live in. So we'll have to deal with the Sugar Ray's, the Boy Bands, and how people don't notice that how weak the music really is, or all the riffs that some bands ::cough-Godsmack-cough:: stole from other bands. This is our world, so I take comfort in the immortal words of Les Claypool:

When the going gets tough
And the stomach acids flow
The cold wind of conformity is nipping at your nose
Some trendy new attrousity has brought you to your knees
Come with us, we'll sail the seas of cheese
-Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus; written in the days of Vanella Ice.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.