View post (Are you attracted to the rockstar lifestyle?)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/25/2001 11:48 pm
Of course.
I make the music I make because I need to, I find it satisfying, and I wouldn't be happy if I was doing otherwise. I'm more than willing to do other projects (keeps my stuff fresh, and helps out in the money deptartment), but mostly I'm in this because I love my music.

Now as for other people...
I think the general masses really don't care what goes into making honest music, they really can't hear the difference for the most part. Otherwise I think you'de see far less support for Napster (we afterall know what goes into writing and recording music and can understand when people don't want it just given away). You would also see a lack of what most of us probably consider to be "crap" bands, because people would know the difference. Songwriting, dynamics, feeling, and musicianship would all matter... it would be economicly viable to be original and creative.

But that isn't the world we live in. So we'll have to deal with the Sugar Ray's, the Boy Bands, and how people don't notice that how weak the music really is, or all the riffs that some bands ::cough-Godsmack-cough:: stole from other bands. This is our world, so I take comfort in the immortal words of Les Claypool:

When the going gets tough
And the stomach acids flow
The cold wind of conformity is nipping at your nose
Some trendy new attrousity has brought you to your knees
Come with us, we'll sail the seas of cheese
-Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus; written in the days of Vanella Ice.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons