program to play songs slower?

beginner
beginner
07/19/2004 6:46 pm
Are there any free programs, where you can slow down songs without getting a lower sound? I need it because I just began to learn solos by ear, and whenever there comes a fast part success is hopeless.
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
07/19/2004 9:57 pm
there are several free plugins for winamp like pacemaker and such. plus most recording proggies like logic, cubase, etc. do have that feature

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
ChromeBeast
ChromeBeast
07/19/2004 11:18 pm
I use something call Transcribe! It is amazing. It's not free, but you can use the demo to see if you like it. It's well worth the money.

You can highlight a section, slow it down, repeat it over and over. I love it.

Here's the link: http://www.seventhstring.com/
# 3
beginner
beginner
07/20/2004 10:45 pm
Cool, that Tanscribe program works very well. How long can I use this demo? Cause then I will check out azrael´s advices.
# 4
killerqueen
killerqueen
07/21/2004 12:20 am
there's another program at www.mysongbook.com which sounds similar to the transcribe thing.
you can download the demo for free and then download most songs from the site. you can slow stuff down on it and use a progression thing which slows down the part you want, and speeds it up a bit on each loop.
i've used it a couple of times for some malmsteen stuff and its been pretty good for that.
i dunno if Transcribe does this, but on this demo it has the tab with it aswell.

hope that helps :D
Elvis Lives (in my basement)
# 5
ChromeBeast
ChromeBeast
07/21/2004 1:19 am
Originally Posted by: killerqueenthere's another program at www.mysongbook.com which sounds similar to the transcribe thing.
you can download the demo for free and then download most songs from the site. you can slow stuff down on it and use a progression thing which slows down the part you want, and speeds it up a bit on each loop.
i've used it a couple of times for some malmsteen stuff and its been pretty good for that.
i dunno if Transcribe does this, but on this demo it has the tab with it aswell.

hope that helps :D

That website is really for Guitar Pro files. Thats not a bad thing, but it only has songs already transcribed. Personally, I try to never use someone elses tab because I come to reply on it, and don't learn the song as well. When I use Transcribe! and learn the song I seem to play it more accurately.

To clarify:
Transcribe! allows you to take any recording (wav, mp3, etc) and mark the sections, loop the sections, slow down the tempo without changing the pitch, tune the song to your instrument (excellent when you do not want to retune your guitar that is in drop D to learn a song in drop C, or if the song was recorded slightly off of A=440, like some Goo Goo Dolls).

Mysongbook/Guitar Pro is software to allow you enter/play the tab you, or someone else, have already transcribed. The resulting file is played back via Midi. This certainly has a purpose, but not for what ""beginner" was looking...in my humble opinion. :cool:
# 6
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/21/2004 6:26 pm
Hey beginner, I totally second ChromeBeast's suggestion of buying Transcribe. It's totally worth the money. Being able to highlight a lick you want to learn, slow it down to 60%, and loop it repeatedly is AMAZING to say the least.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 7
VintageReaper
VintageReaper
07/21/2004 10:00 pm
You can also update to Windows Media Player 9, it has the ability to slow songs down.
You're an inspiration for birth control. - Duke Nukem.
# 8
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
07/22/2004 7:32 am
I use 'The Amazing Slower Downer'

downloadable here:

http://www.filebasket.com/index.php?url=%2Fproduct.php%3Fid%3D2620%26cid%3D110
# 9
jbreuner
jbreuner
07/25/2004 5:53 am
i've switched from playing mp3's on my laptop in windows media player to itunes because it rips mp3's from cd's and not wma files. no need to reply to this decision.

i used a free download called chronotron for windows media player to vary the tempo of songs played on wmp so i could learn them more easily. no looping, but that didn't matter very much.

does anyone know about a (hopefully) free program to download for itunes that will allow me to vary the tempo of playback without altering pitch (and vice versa, for those tuning dilemmas? ) Joe
# 10
beginner
beginner
07/25/2004 12:01 pm
Originally Posted by: TheDirtHey beginner, I totally second ChromeBeast's suggestion of buying Transcribe. It's totally worth the money. Being able to highlight a lick you want to learn, slow it down to 60%, and loop it repeatedly is AMAZING to say the least.

Yeah, it´s true, it´s amazing, but I don´t have 40 $ to buy this.....
Isn´t there any way to get it for free, illegally.... :D
# 11
ChromeBeast
ChromeBeast
07/25/2004 5:00 pm
Originally Posted by: beginnerYeah, it´s true, it´s amazing, but I don´t have 40 $ to buy this.....
Isn´t there any way to get it for free, illegally.... :D

There is always a way to get it illegally, but for this software the fee is well deserved. I always support the developers that make good software - that way it gets even better.

Shane
# 12
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/26/2004 4:54 am
Originally Posted by: ChromeBeastThere is always a way to get it illegally, but for this software the fee is well deserved. I always support the developers that make good software - that way it gets even better.

Shane

And that will be the extent of that discussion on this forum...
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 13
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/26/2004 3:23 pm
Yeah, sure there's a way to get it illegally, and here's how to do it (but don't blame me if you get in trouble!)...

I see that you're 16, so you probably still live with your parents. When your parents go out, go to your mom's room, steal $40, and buy the program!
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 14
beginner
beginner
07/26/2004 4:04 pm
Originally Posted by: TheDirtYeah, sure there's a way to get it illegally, and here's how to do it (but don't blame me if you get in trouble!)...

I see that you're 16, so you probably still live with your parents. When your parents go out, go to your mom's room, steal $40, and buy the program!

:D :D :D
Yeah, well, that would be an opportunity, sure, but that would go a little bit too far...
I more thought if the cd setup file is somewhere available for download.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.