classical

Marauder
Marauder
07/16/2004 1:13 am
Hi. My GF bought me a clssical guitar for my b-day and I am going to move away from shredding a little bit and start focusing on classical for a while....(I'm still gonna shred I''m just going to focus more practice time on classical). Anyone know any good resources to learn the tecniques? I have the two Aaron Shearer classical books....but I am finding it hard to get through it because they start off SOOOOO basic. but maybe I should just rough it.
Are there any tricks for going through scales? What fingering do you use? And do you use rest stroke or free stroke?

Also, how do you do arpeggios correctly?

heheheheheeh it is going to be frustrating because on electric I can get 16th notes at 200bpm now and on classical I feel like a newbie lol
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/16/2004 1:40 am
HAve you looked at Azraels instructor page ?

http://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=2565
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
07/16/2004 3:19 am
hmmm...well It would take me forever to answer your questions and I would have to show you pictures probably so you could get a basic idea
The rule I use for free stroke and rest stroke is that I use free stroke for chords, arpeggios and fast scales...anything else I use rest stroke so it has a better sound...rest stroke for playing the slower scales
I would suggest a book called "Mastering the Classical Guitar" very good book and explain almost EVERYTHING that there is to know..its a hardback book too
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
07/19/2004 4:14 pm
I'm told that in terms of technique and all that, classical guitar is almost like a completely different instrument.
And if that holds, then I'd advise to act as if the only saddle you know is the one people sit on while riding horses(in other words, act a complete guitar dumb ass) and go thro' everything a-new.
That way you should learn. I fyou meet stuff you already know, then you should easily go past it. and when you get to stuff you don't know, then you'll learn it.
Plus I imagine you could always pick new things from the seemingly basic stuff.
It's OK to re-learn "Row Row Row Your Boat."!!
# 4
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/19/2004 6:31 pm
I would suggest taking lessons... Let me take you back a year ago. I was a pretty good guitarist, I had been playing for about 5 or 6 years and I decided to try classical guitar. Well, I could never get it to sound like the masters. I, being a college student, decided to take a beginners classical guitar technique class. We went through Shearer's book, starting from the basics... I knew scales, chords, etc, so that was a breeze, but wow, did my right hand technique need some work. That book alone couldn't have helped me, but the teacher showed me what was wrong with my performance and corrected me. I don't think that without him that I could have made it.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 5
rockerluke
rockerluke
07/27/2004 7:45 am
Find a good teacher. I'm also a pure classical guitarist, so I learned the proper discipline, like position, plucking style and footstools. Quite a torture at first, but as soon as you develop, you will fell a lot better.

Anybody who knows the basic principles of fingerpicking, like reststroke and alternation?
# 6
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
07/27/2004 5:17 pm
I do but I wouldnt be able to explain it by words..others here might but i cant Id need pics and all that other crap
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 7
pigguitar101
pigguitar101
08/06/2004 2:19 am
Hey, im new to the forum but have been playin for 4 years. I'll try to give you as much help as i can. (Through experience!) I would say try Christopher Parkenings' Classical Guitar Method. I learned classical from it as well as read music. -with lessons-
# 8
lee33
lee33
08/06/2004 8:01 am
I'm a newbie here too. I haven't played classical since I was a kid, but I would recommend at least 6 lessons just to get the technique right.

It's a bit like playing golf - you need a teacher to get the swing right - then you can play what you like.

Fernado Sor did a 20 study thing that is pretty good. Starts easy and ends up harder than I could play.

Lee
# 9
eltocaor
eltocaor
08/09/2004 10:13 am
hi!
If I were u I will check the Emilio Pujol didactic book called "escuela razonada de la guitarra"...it really well made.
# 10
Meta
Meta
08/19/2004 6:20 am
Originally Posted by: rockerlukeFind a good teacher. I'm also a pure classical guitarist, so I learned the proper discipline, like position, plucking style and footstools. Quite a torture at first, but as soon as you develop, you will fell a lot better.

Anybody who knows the basic principles of fingerpicking, like reststroke and alternation?

I do.

Free stroke,Rest stroke,Tremelo,Tambora,Bartok Pizzicato,i know quite a bit with out ever taking anyreal lessons,But as soon as i finish high school im Going to a local college to take Serious lessons.
|/- :eek: Zeeky Boogy Doog :eek: -\|
< - (o .0) - >
# 11
rockerluke
rockerluke
08/19/2004 8:41 am
Originally Posted by: MetaI do.

Free stroke,Rest stroke,Tremelo,Tambora,Bartok Pizzicato,i know quite a bit with out ever taking anyreal lessons,But as soon as i finish high school im Going to a local college to take Serious lessons.

What pieces can you play well?

I'll be playing Francisco Tarrega's "Capricho Arabe" in our University guitar solo contest.
# 12
Meta
Meta
08/19/2004 3:07 pm
M favorite is Valse 2,3 ,Adreina,natlia and La negra by Antonio lauro[i like anything by him]

And lately i have been working on the Usher Waltz by Nikita Koshkin

Capricho Arabe is a Good peice its a tough one lol :)
|/- :eek: Zeeky Boogy Doog :eek: -\|
< - (o .0) - >
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.