Ace...

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/02/2004 7:51 pm
As I stated in a previous lesson, arpeggios are great for your playing. This is the same style arpeggio, but instead of the popular 7th chord, it is for the equally important minor 7th chord. Its Am7.

Ace-
There are alot of people out there that are very musically inept when it comes to theory, make sure that when you put "Key: A (minor7th) that you know that there is a difference between an Amaj(min7) and an Am7. The seventh is a simple dominant seventh in minor chords, it's the third that is minored (obviously). Now you probably should change that capital A to a lowercase a, to clear up the confusion, because it sounds as if you mean to say that the seventh is minored (and to those who don't know their ****, in the Aeolian mode the 3,6,[U]7[/U] are flat)

Also, I'm curious as to why you chose to end on the 13th (F# in the key of A) in that instance. If you're demonstrating how to arpeggiate the 7th chords, adding a 13th at the end is not the way to go. If you're teaching the Charlie Parker Method, a style in which the 9th, 11trh, and 13th are very prominent, it's a little bit different, but please, It's one of my pet peeves, stay within the bounds of the musical chord structure when you say you're going to!

~Incidents
# 1
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/03/2004 8:29 pm
When I read your post, I honestly had no clue what you were talking about. Then it hit me: the instructor page. I forgot about that completely! I haven't updated in sooo long, time is slipping.

To be honest, those tricks don't even show what I really know. I came up with that arpeggio before I even learned the modes, I had the progression of Impressions playing and was trying out some stuff and that just came up. At the time I just figured it was a true Am7 arpeggio, cuz that's what it said on the lead sheet for the chord.

The reason it worked back then was 'cuz I was playing in Dorian, the common scale in jazz for soloing use over a minor 7th chord.

But since I didn't know modes at the time... I had no idea what to call it... so I was trying to say this is something you could use over an Am7.

Thanx a lot for noticing though, I'll keep that trick hidden until I can make a new recording and fix it.

(for further stuff about my tricks just email me: [email]Xcalibur910@aol.com[/email])
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.