Just starting and fear I may have end my goal.

rbh4161
rbh4161
10/04/2019 7:29 pm

Just starting lessons with an acoustic guitar and have reached the "spider legs warm-up" lesson. I find that my ring, middle, and index fingers do not space properly on the first three frets. They pull together, especially when attempting to put the right pressure point on the string so that the adjacent string is not "contaminated". I can separate and hold them with my right hand but even then the pressure points on the tips of the fingers are thrown off. Are there any exercises for stretching/strengthening fingers or is It that I just may be physically/structurally unable to play the guitar and have to give-up my goal. By the way, I am a very active senior citizen in superior condition, but maybe not for the guitar.

# 1
Dave-H
Dave-H
10/05/2019 1:05 am
Originally Posted by: rbh4161

Just starting lessons with an acoustic guitar and have reached the "spider legs warm-up" lesson. I find that my ring, middle, and index fingers do not space properly on the first three frets. They pull together, especially when attempting to put the right pressure point on the string so that the adjacent string is not "contaminated". I can separate and hold them with my right hand but even then the pressure points on the tips of the fingers are thrown off. Are there any exercises for stretching/strengthening fingers or is It that I just may be physically/structurally unable to play the guitar and have to give-up my goal. By the way, I am a very active senior citizen in superior condition, but maybe not for the guitar.

This seems to me to be an odd problem. Perhaps you have never been in the habit of splaying your fingers. This is a training issue. Practice just splaying your your fingers. After you can routinely splay your fingers then splay them and curl them while splayed. As you become trained in that you can then transfer the action to the fret board. Sure it will take you longer to establish this unfamiliar action, but I don't see it as "the end to guitar playing". Learning any new skill is about making your body do things it is not used to.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/05/2019 3:43 am

Hey & welcome to GT!

I find that my ring, middle, and index fingers do not space properly on the first three frets.[/quote][p]It's not necessary to keep your fingers on each fret maintaining pressure. Lisa is doing that mostly so it's clear which finger goes where. And that it's an application of the one finger per fret idea.

Apply pressure to the first fret with your index finger. Just enough that it sounds clearly. Then release pressure. Keep your index finger hovering over or near the first fret, but don't worry about maintaining pressure. Once you play the second fret the first fret doesn't need to be held down.

Apply pressure to the second fret with your middle. Again just enough that it sounds clearly. Then release pressure.

Apply pressure to the third fret with your ring finger. Again just enough that it sounds clearly. Then release pressure.

Don't worry about the adjacent strings at first. Just get the note that you are aiming for to sound. Be patient with yourself. This is just the beginning! :)[br][quote=rbh4161][p]Are there any exercises for stretching/strengthening fingers

[p]Yes, try these!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1525

I have other exercises that are for building strength & dexterity. But for now, just keep going through the Fundamentals course. You are only at the beginning & those spider legs exercises are just mechanical warm up exercises. Keep going!

Hope this helps. Please ask more if necessary & be patient. I wish you the best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
rbh4161
rbh4161
10/05/2019 3:44 pm

Thanks all for your recommendations. Very helpful

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/06/2019 2:42 pm

Thanks all for your recommendations. Very helpful

You are welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
Chandosda
Chandosda
10/09/2019 3:00 pm

Welcome to GT!

Keep at it. Stretch while sitting at a meal or watching TV. Stretch while taking a walk. Stretch as you lay in bed. Doesn't matter where and you don't have to overstretch. Your muscles and tendons will start to ease up and allow the stretch. Hopefully no arthritis to hamper the efforts but, if one technique doesn't work, try another.

For example, take a look at some YouTube videos of a guy who has very stubby fingers that don't spread and is confined to a wheelchair... Brock Davison. He uses his special technique to make the guitar speak with great emotion...without the virtuoso hand spread. Warning: You may end up watching and listening for hours.

Link to Brock on YouTube

It's not what you have or don't have.

It's what you do with what you have.

Even with hand difficulties, one can learn to play guitar proficiently. Just have to find what works for you.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.