View post (Just starting and fear I may have end my goal.)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/05/2019 3:43 am

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: rbh4161

I find that my ring, middle, and index fingers do not space properly on the first three frets.[/quote][p]It's not necessary to keep your fingers on each fret maintaining pressure. Lisa is doing that mostly so it's clear which finger goes where. And that it's an application of the one finger per fret idea.

Apply pressure to the first fret with your index finger. Just enough that it sounds clearly. Then release pressure. Keep your index finger hovering over or near the first fret, but don't worry about maintaining pressure. Once you play the second fret the first fret doesn't need to be held down.

Apply pressure to the second fret with your middle. Again just enough that it sounds clearly. Then release pressure.

Apply pressure to the third fret with your ring finger. Again just enough that it sounds clearly. Then release pressure.

Don't worry about the adjacent strings at first. Just get the note that you are aiming for to sound. Be patient with yourself. This is just the beginning! :)[br][quote=rbh4161][p]Are there any exercises for stretching/strengthening fingers

[p]Yes, try these!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1525

I have other exercises that are for building strength & dexterity. But for now, just keep going through the Fundamentals course. You are only at the beginning & those spider legs exercises are just mechanical warm up exercises. Keep going!

Hope this helps. Please ask more if necessary & be patient. I wish you the best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory