Hello there from a fellow online trainer...

kevinmorris22
kevinmorris22
05/12/2020 3:04 pm

My name is Kevin from Ft Worth, TX and I run the YouTube channel MCrider where I am a motorcycle safety instructor.

I have always wanted to learn guitar and have had a couple of unsuccessful attempts in the past just using books. I have been doing Guitar Tricks for about 2 weeks now. I spend 15 -20 minutes a session and try to do 2 or 3 sessions a day.

So far if I struggle with a particular exercise I just keep working on that until I feel I am ready to move on. Currently, I am hanging out at the "Early Bird Gala" song. It is funny that I feel like I play it so much better on my own and as soon as I try it with the band I frequently get lost. LOL

Oh well, I am having a blast doing this and wanted to compliment Lisa on being a great instructor.

You can find me at www.MCrider.com and www.YouTube.com/MCrider.

# 1
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
05/12/2020 4:17 pm

Hi Kevin.

I sure can relate to the "getting lost" thing with playing guitar.

Your post made me think about muscle memory working with the ability to concentrate on different things at the same time in a different way. In particular, motorcycle and guitar.

Riding a bike involves lots of muscle memory AND concentration. I remember first learning to ride. Clutch, throttle, shift, brake, balance, lean....all have to work together....AND you still have to pay attention to everything that's around you. Eventually, the muscle memory stuff became almost automatic, and required less "thinking and concentration", right?

I've found it similar with guitar and playing along with music or others. I have to learn something solo, to the point it's kinds coming without thinking about every little bit of it, before I can play along with anything.

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/12/2020 5:48 pm

Welcome Kevin,

Like Steve I am a fellow rider and newish to the guitar.

I will share a story both of you can relate to: last year my next door neighbour and retired police officer bought himself a motorcycle. I was excited for him and asked if was "ok" with it - I told him this was a hard question for one man to be asking another - but if he needed some pointers I would be happy to help. Well of course he didn't need any pointers, rode years ago when he was a kid. What was I thinking, he had gone soft in his retirement?!

A month later on his maiden voyage he was taken by ambulance from my yard. He left his drive way, almost directly across the street, tried to make a left, but ended up hitting my curb and landing in my drive way. The windshield caught something in his neck and he required emergency surgery. Length of trip - about 20 yards.

What happened was the bike "took" off with a handful of throttle he wasn't prepared for and he was startled. I fixed the bike up for him and still have his battery in my basement. Unfortunatley for him, I think he has gone gun shy. Which is a shame. Riding is a wonderful experience for anyone to have.

Best of luck with both.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
kevinmorris22
kevinmorris22
05/12/2020 7:41 pm

Thanks for the replies...and I can relate to everything you both said.

There are some similarities to learning to ride and playing guitar. Trying to coordinate hands to do motions they are not accustomed to and in separate rhythm.

I used to be an MSF instructor and a Total Control instructor in the DFW area, now I focus all my teaching online. It has been great for me to put myself in the role of student and work through some of the struggles that anyone faces learning a new skill.

I am really enjoying this new hobby.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/12/2020 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: kevinmorris22

Total Control instructor in the DFW area,

Total Control as in Lee Parks?

# 5
kevinmorris22
kevinmorris22
05/12/2020 8:10 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG
Originally Posted by: kevinmorris22

Total Control instructor in the DFW area,

Total Control as in Lee Parks?

Yes, I taught the Total Control Intermediate Clinic here in Dallas / Ft Worth. Now I do a weekly show at www.YouTube.com/MCrider

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/12/2020 8:54 pm

Cool. I have his book and a pair of gloves. I took up road racing late in life and his book was my 1st purchase.

# 7
kevinmorris22
kevinmorris22
05/15/2020 6:56 pm

I use his gloves as well, I really like them. I have done a few track days but focus most of my riding time to riding on the street and some touring when I have the time.

# 8
Rui Marto
Rui Marto
05/17/2020 5:46 pm

Welcome! :D One more biker and guitar student...

Learning guitar doesn't come as natural for me as driving (maybe because I started at 4 with small karts, then bigger ones, then planes, cars... motorcycle was just one more and still learning) but looking at your post I remembered my first go's at it, doing this slow maneuvers and always praying for the bike not to stall and fall, specially on the big bikes.

I guess learning guitar is similar, in the sense that a moment you're doing scales quite well and playing this simple beginner songs and 10min later it all goes a away, you miss a few notes and then get frustrated, just like dropping the bike. :D

Good luck with both. :) And I'm always looking for youtube motorcycle videos, so I'll check yours for sure.

View from my bike few moments ago:

Keep rocking!

# 9
kevinmorris22
kevinmorris22
05/17/2020 6:41 pm

Hi Rui, thanks for the encouragement. It is funny I was just asking myself why I can play a simple some sometimes and other times it all falls apart. I guess it is part of the learning curve.

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.