Hi, I'm Dara

daraconn
daraconn
09/22/2019 8:52 pm

Hi there everyone! I've decided to try (again) to learn to play the guitar. I've taken my old, long-neglected, guitar out of the shed, had it restrung, and signed up for a year's subscription to Guitar Tricks.

My guitar is a nylon-string acoustic Kiso Suzuki G-100. I've had it since I was 8 years old (40 years ago!) It hasn't been well treated over the years but it still looks and sounds good!

I've been really enjoying Lisa's Absolute Beginners lessons. I really wanted to start from scratch and build up from a solid foundation. My "project" is to follow the courses systematically and see what happens!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/22/2019 9:03 pm

Welcome Dara.

Hoping you finally get to play that guitar!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
daraconn
daraconn
10/18/2019 8:56 pm

Reporting back after the first 4 weeks.

It's going well for me so far. It's day 28 and I haven't missed a day so far. I've been working my way through the guitar fundamentals course and I think I'm really building a solid foundation. Lisa's a really good teacher.

Of course I'm still clumsy and often hit the wrong string but gradually I think I am gaining a "feel" for the guitar.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/18/2019 9:21 pm

Good news Dara! Keep that enthusiasm going!

# 4
daraconn
daraconn
08/20/2020 9:28 pm

Reporting back again - coming up to a year since I joined.

So, I've almost completed Guitar Fundamentals 1 and 2 and starting to look at what's next, wondering whether to sign up for another year.

I haven't missed a day so far this year. My poor neglected guitar has really come back to life!

For each day's session I start by replaying the previous day's lesson, then if I feel ready I move on to the next lesson. I've really enjoyed having Lisa as a teacher and I've picked up a lot of skills and knowledge.

I enjoy strumming along to YouTube videos of Lewis Capaldi or Taylor Swift - my proudest moment is when I figure out a simple chord progression and get it right first time.

# 5
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/22/2020 12:52 am

Hi Dara,

Sounds like you are still having fun and finding the lessons useful and productive. Why wouldn't you want to sign up for another year? :-)

Consider the cost of private lessons compared to the cost of GT and it's just silly. Plus, a private lesson is a one time experience and then it's gone! GT lessons are here for you again and again. Final point is anytime you start to feel discouraged or get stuck or have a question about anything at all, you've got this great forum with a supportive group of folks ready to give you all the support and encouragement you could ever ask for.

But hey, that's just like my opinion, man. :-)

Good luck,

Dave...

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/22/2020 11:10 am

Well done Dara! Thanks for the update and keep going!

# 7
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
08/22/2020 7:47 pm
Originally Posted by: daraconn

Reporting back again - coming up to a year since I joined.

So, I've almost completed Guitar Fundamentals 1 and 2 and starting to look at what's next, wondering whether to sign up for another year.

I haven't missed a day so far this year. My poor neglected guitar has really come back to life!

For each day's session I start by replaying the previous day's lesson, then if I feel ready I move on to the next lesson. I've really enjoyed having Lisa as a teacher and I've picked up a lot of skills and knowledge.

I enjoy strumming along to YouTube videos of Lewis Capaldi or Taylor Swift - my proudest moment is when I figure out a simple chord progression and get it right first time.

Way to go ! Rootin for ya .

# 8
daraconn
daraconn
08/22/2020 8:27 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for all the messages of support!

Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

Hi Dara,

Sounds like you are still having fun and finding the lessons useful and productive. Why wouldn't you want to sign up for another year? :-)

The reason is that I don't really know what it's like after Guitar Fundamentals 2. GF1 and 2 have really worked well for me (I mean really well - I am delighted with the course). But after that it's a bit of a step into the unknown with more options and I don't know which is the right one for me. If that makes sense.

# 9
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
08/22/2020 9:34 pm

Hi Dara,

The reason is that I don't really know what it's like after Guitar Fundamentals 2. GF1 and 2 have really worked well for me (I mean really well - I am delighted with the course). But after that it's a bit of a step into the unknown with more options and I don't know which is the right one for me. If that makes sense.

Since you`re currently playing an acoustic, my guess would be the next logical step would be acoustic 1. I`m nearly done with that and can attest to how well thought out and designed the lessons are. Anders does a great job !

Jeff

# 10
daraconn
daraconn
08/22/2020 10:36 pm

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the advice!

# 11
daraconn
daraconn
10/06/2020 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: moosehockey18

Hi Dara,

Since you`re currently playing an acoustic, my guess would be the next logical step would be acoustic 1. I`m nearly done with that and can attest to how well thought out and designed the lessons are. Anders does a great job !

Jeff

Checking back in to say that I've started the Acoustic 1 course and it is working out very well for me. Thanks again for the advice.

# 12
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/07/2020 2:50 pm

Dara,

Glad to hear you decided to continue on learning. You are so far beyond most of the beginners who come here wanting to learn guitar in a couple of weeks. That ambition is a pipe dream and their pursuit of this goal is most likely doomed to frustration and failure.

You have learned good practice routines, you have mastered a lot of techique, you have delt with getting stuck (or not getting stuck) on plateaus of frustration. You are not disappointed that you are not a recording star after a whole year of practice! You have kept a good attitude and made impressive progress. This is a rare accomplishment, you deserve a bow.

All this means you have a great start on becomming a sucessful guitarist. As long as GT can hold your interest, it would be real shame if you gave up now, because you don't know what is ahead!!! Music is endless, and with your focus and learning skills you could soon be looking back at this junction, in you learning, and wondering how you could have ever stopped. YOU ARE SO FAR BEYOND WHAT MANY COME HERE AND FIND, IT WOULD BE A REAL SHAME TO JUST WALK AWAY NOW! You have some great inertia going for you now! Don't give up just when you are starting to take wing. Believe me, it just keeps getting better!!!!!!!!

I can't use enough exclaimation points for this point.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.