High quality problem

bejit1
bejit1
10/01/2018 12:45 pm

So, what is this high quality problem? Well, i have started with the fundamentals course maybe around a month ago or so. And, I’ve noticed that I am playing the guitar better than my 8 year old son. Now, you may think that is not much of an accomplishment. However, I thought my son was really good for his age. He was playing Beatles songs like all my lovin without any difficulty whatsoever. But, he was having more difficulty with chords. Now, I can play them much better than he can. Plus, I am playing simple songs like the easy version of the melody of dust in the wind similar in quality to him. Now. Some of this may be related to my music background (played clarinet thru the end of college). However, I have to give credit where credit is due. Mostly, I think it’s from this fantastic course.

That at all being said, I want to get my 8 year old son on par with me with the chords. But, I am not sure this course would be as enticing for me as my 8 year old son. I was thinking, therefore, maybe you should create a course geared to younger children as well. What do you think?

Also, what should i do to improve his chords? He is a very focused kid and is very musically inclined. I think he just needs to practice them. But, he would benefit from some sort of alternative motivation. What’s the best way? Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2018 2:59 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! Glad you are working through the GF course. That's a great place to start.

Originally Posted by: bejit1

I’ve noticed that I am playing the guitar better than my 8 year old son. Now, you may think that is not much of an accomplishment. However, I thought my son was really good for his age. He was playing Beatles songs like all my lovin without any difficulty whatsoever. But, he was having more difficulty with chords. Now, I can play them much better than he can.[/quote][p]With only that much information, my money is on the one thing that makes the most difference: focused practice.

There's just no substitute for repetitious practice, practice, and more practice for learning to play a musical instrument.

I've seen lots of kids pick up the guitar and learn a bit, have fun & then at a certain point they lose interest in investing more time. It could be that it gets hard at that point. More often it's just a matter of lack of desire to do more, to get better. There are other things that the kid finds more interesting.

Originally Posted by: bejit1But, I am not sure this course would be as enticing for me as my 8 year old son. I was thinking, therefore, maybe you should create a course geared to younger children as well. What do you think?

I think that in person lessons are best for small children. GT is great for self-starters. For people that are already dedicated to the idea that they are going to learn to play no matter what. You might ask him to work through the course with you. And then set up a schedule to practice together. If he enjoys spending time with you, then it's win-win.

However, I think that you are fighting an uphill battle if your child is not invested in learning. It's tricky because you can create a situation in which the more you encourage or push as a parent, the more the child might push back & not only lose interest, but become actively antagonistic to the process of lessons & practice.

I think the best way to encouage any child (or person of any age) is to give them an incentive that helps lights their own fire for them. Find songs they love & show them that learning the guitar is a way to play those songs.

My wife & I wanted our kid to take piano & voice lessons. He loved music & therefore was willing & that helped a great deal. So, the primary thing we had to do was to find an instructor that he enjoyed working with. That made it fun. He looked forward to the lessons.

[quote=bejit1]

Also, what should i do to improve his chords? He is a very focused kid and is very musically inclined. I think he just needs to practice them.

I think you are exactly right: he needs to practice. A lot. Like all of us! :) The trick is finding a way to incentivize him so that he sees that practicing is in his own best interest. He gets something enjoyable out of it. Not just stopping dad from nagging him!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2018 2:24 pm

If you go back through some of my Fundamentals videos, pay close attention to what I say to the student as to how to get the best tone, how to make the chord changes quick and smooth, etc.

Listen for the 'teaching' in the videos. What am I suggesting you make sure to do? What am I suggesting you make sure to watch out for? To avoid?

Then, you may be able to use those teachings to coach your son.

Notice little things he may or may not be doing in his technique that are impeding good tone, etc.

Teach HIM how to chase those details down, and sound better and better. It becomes like a treasure hunt - not the drudgery of practice.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2018 2:29 pm

I'd suggest you go back through some of my Fundamentals videos that address some of the things you may be able to notice about your son's playing.

In what ways have you gotten out ahead of him?

Look at my videos on those topics, and pay attention to the TEACHING in the videos.

Whether it is chord tone, or chord changes, or strumming or.....:

* What am I suggesting you make sure and do?

* What am I suggesting you make sure and avoid?

* What am I suggesting you double check on?

See if you can observe your son's playing and determine what little details he would need to pull together to improve his sound.

Become his Dad-Coach! Teach him the details, and that empowers him with a 'detective' mindset, to hunt down the culprits for poor sound, and to erradicate them!

It becomes like a treasure hunt - not the drudgery of 'practice'.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
bejit1
bejit1
10/09/2018 11:15 am

Thanks guys!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.