What amp is he using?

nagne.jin
nagne.jin
08/26/2017 2:11 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBjxOoRwEE

How is this telecaster getting these clear and refreshing notes, especially from 0:18 onwards?

It seems that it's using an amp that is totally different from the jazzy ones I know of. Thanks.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/26/2017 3:03 am
Originally Posted by: nagne.jin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBjxOoRwEE

How is this telecaster getting these clear and refreshing notes, especially from 0:18 onwards?

[p]

That's a fairly high gain tone. He's likely getting it from a modelling amp (a Line6 or some other modern amp that has software to mimic lots of amps with a lot of gain).

But the essence of that tone is an overdriven amp with a gain or distortion effect pedal. See Anders explain how that works in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1616

There's another thing you should be aware of about the recording in the video you posted. There are clearly 2 guitar parts in that video. In the left speaker (stereo panned left) there is a guitar playing a lower register power chord riffing rhythm part that makes the whole song sound really thick & full. The part that is being shown on screen is in the right side speaker playing upper register melodies, chords, octaves & diads.

So, what you are hearing is a distortion, overdriven or "high gain" tone, but it's a mixure of 2 different guitar parts making it sound so full. And only one guitar part is being shown played.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
nagne.jin
nagne.jin
08/27/2017 8:55 am

Got it thanks so much Christopher.

Yea I was aware of the two guitars; I was interested in the clear right stereo one.

Also, would a PRS or strat play the upper register melodies much better than the shown telecaster? From what I know, tele is more for twangy blues and country while strat/PRS is for clean sounding rock or funk. I was just surprised that this tele sounded so clean.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/27/2017 3:12 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: nagne.jin

Yea I was aware of the two guitars; I was interested in the clear right stereo one.[/quote]

Good deal.

[quote=nagne.jin]

Also, would a PRS or strat play the upper register melodies much better than the shown telecaster? From what I know, tele is more for twangy blues and country while strat/PRS is for clean sounding rock or funk. I was just surprised that this tele sounded so clean.

Sure, you could achieve that with a Tele, or just about any decent electric guitar these days. The modern day digital modelling amps or software plug-ins can achieve just about any tone regardless of the guitar model these days.

It looks like the player is using the bridge pickup (I'm looking at the selector switch in the vid). And that's the brightest most treble pickup on any Fender. I'm not sure if it's a standard single-coil, or a stacked humbucker. That would make some difference to the tone it's possible to achieve.

Another thing to consider here is that there's no guarantee that is the actual guitar used to make the recording you are hearing. The player might simply be playing the right notes along with the existing track.

But the larger point here is that with modern amps, software & recording equipment it's possible to get just about any tone from any decent electric guitar.[br][br]For what it's worth, here another version with a Strat & a considerably less overdriven tone. [br][br]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwhehHiO88U[br][br]That's a fun song. :) My kid enjoys some anime & I've noticed they often have really great theme songs.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
nagne.jin
nagne.jin
08/27/2017 9:30 pm

Awesome I'll definitely look into a good modeling amp.

Aha that's nice, anime's good in moderation and their songs are so clean-rock and plot-driven just like their stories, which is what's great. And the tele seems to beat the strat!

Thanks for the informative answers as always Christopher, and best of wishes to you and your family.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.