Finding happiness

Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
10/04/2021 8:32 pm

I hadn't thought of playing guitar in very long time and I've always tried to convince myself that I'd never be able to make music. My favorite excuse was: "I'm too old." Already in my fourties, I thought that I'd never be able to go fast enough to keep ahead of boredom... until three months ago.

My wife and I rented a little cottage to spend our holidays. Our goal was to spend some time in nature, enjoy walks with our dog, good food and to read a few books. We actually did all of that, but we also had a beautiful piano, a lot of sheet music, albums of Neil Young, Joan Baez, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, etc at our disposal. We played some albums, but we couldn't enjoy the piano and sheet music and that got me thinking again. Am I really too old? Should you really start at an early age to play an instrument?

Finally, during our holidays, I took a decision to give it a try. I decided to buy an electric guitar as soon as I got back, find a teacher or a good alternative (like Guitartricks ) and find out how it goes.

It's been almost three months now and I've never felt this happy with anything else before. I've almost finished GF1; I'm looking forward to start GF2 and I'm really eager to start learning blues after that.

Music has always been a great source of enjoyment, but being able to make music is like finding the holy grail. I've found happiness.

So that's the story of how I got myself into this journey... I'm really curious to read about your story.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/04/2021 9:59 pm

Hey, great story and great post. Here is my story...

I bought a Maxwin acoustic guitar when I was 17. I never learned to play it, although I did make some attempts. When I was nearly 57 I pulled the old girl out and thought "maybe this time?"

Well, I still have her. Have learned some skills, written and recorded a few songs and have some people I can jam with.

Its never too late. I am 58 now and play something every day.

Keep playing man!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Sour_Note
Full Access
Sour_Note
Full Access
10/05/2021 1:28 am

I am in the same boat as you. Started tinkering with the guitar but really got the itch last year. Just turned 50 in June and am getting pretty close to finishing GF2. Leaning towards the blues course after that. Just trying to enjoy the journey.

# 3
susanostephan
susanostephan
10/05/2021 3:47 am

Took up the guitar at 45, but had played the flute and piano as a child and throughout high school. I am big supporter of music programs in school because of the benefits I got from my music education. I have a teacher and started with Guitar Tricks last November. I love learning and actually performed a guitar duet with my thirteen year old son of the song Cielito Lindo in an International Show. I guess you could say it was my first gig.

# 4
natashagranger
Full Access
natashagranger
Full Access
10/05/2021 7:01 pm

What a great story. I came across it when looking to see if anyone had posted advice about what to do if you've split your fingertip. Hence I found your post "sore.fingers".

I've been playing a lot of guitar the last few days and have cut my finger as a result of it.

I've always loved music and singing but only really decided to take up guitar during the first lockdown. Seen as we were not allowed out or near anyone (a.k.a couldn't learn from an actual human being teacher) I decided to join Guitar Tricks.

I've went back and forth with the guitar, sometimes playing it a lot and other times not so much. A bit like what you said, it can be a little trying, perhaps boring at the beginning so it does take patience.

I decided to take myself away to really try and focus on it. Due to lockdown etc. I've been staring at the same walls for a long time and was struggling to find motivation. I'm on a little island right now in Scotland. The change of scenery has helped a lot, especially when I lift my head up from the guitar (meaning I've mastered a chord without having to look at the strings) and I am looking out on to the sea.[br][br]I hope to be where you are in a few months time with the guitar. Thank you for sharing your story.[br][br]Natasha

# 5
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
10/19/2021 10:50 am

Great story. I'm 65 now but fell in love with guitar when the Beatles came to town. Took lessons and played for a while then let it go. Fast forward to 1999 and divorce. One day found a Strat Squire and little amp at a garage sale and I decided this would be a potential great thing to get back into, instead of drinking and feeling sorry for myself. Well after discovering you tubes and all the free lessons on line I was more committed than ever to making the guitar work for me. The past 20 years have been nothing short of phenomenal for me in my growth and playing. About 4 years ago I discovered GT and I'm in my h happy place! Never stop playing!!! You're never too old. I'm rocking pretty hard at 65 and it actually makes me feel young. Can't be too bad, as I can hold my own with most intermediate to advanced players.

# 6
jimnyc2000
Full Access
jimnyc2000
Full Access
11/01/2021 11:51 pm

Tom Waits! Nice! You do not see his name too much in posts!

# 7
Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
11/03/2021 2:22 pm
Originally Posted by: jimnyc2000

Tom Waits! Nice! You do not see his name too much in posts!

We should do something about it

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.