Chord change speed problems

buidienk54i
buidienk54i
08/20/2019 10:43 am

Hello,

I'm 42 years old guy who started learning to play guitar in January 2019. Never played any musical instrument before (I don't count primary school's horrible flute/recorder lessons).

I'm playing an electric guitar and have no interest in acoustic. Interested in rock(60's to more modern) and perhaps metal(some time later). Though my wife would like me to be able to play some kid's songs to my 4 year old boy and under 1 year old girl. :)

I've been doing Lisa's basics for few months now and did play along "Begin again" and "Cross the Line". Really painful. I've not been able to switch perfectly from one chord to another at the speed of the play along. If I strum all the strings of the chord instead of the first + the rest, then I'm doing it perfectly.

Is it a real problem if I can't nail down the chord changes at the speed of the play alongs at first?

Any suggestions how to continue to learn to switch chords faster?

I've been still practicing them and going forware a little, and probably will go forward again and continue practicing all chord changes.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/20/2019 2:30 pm

Hi buidienk54i,

I am 56, started in Jan. It sounds as though you run the risk of getting in a rut. Personally I can only put so much time/attention into learning something new before boredom begins to step in. Here is what I do and since you asked here is what I would suggest:

1) When learning a song I only look to learn the chord structure. This can take quite some time. Once I have the chords down and can play through them - without using my notes – and at whatever tempo I need btw – I then move into the tempo. Eventually I will be able to play the song at tempo. It is by no means perfect. Recognizable – yes, perfect, no. I then put that song in my repertoire. I keep a notation of the last time I practiced the song, and for those songs I really need continued practice on, I continue to make part of my daily practice.

Play something for your kids, they won’t know the difference and they will be a very accepting audience.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/20/2019 2:30 pm

IMO, "chords" is the most important guitar skill. I believe it should be a prime focus as one contiues on the journey of learning guitar.

For me, and I think for others, the key is a constant and regular practice schedule that works on a little bit of everything (to include songs); progressing through the Core Learning System yet also concentrating on the difficult stuff.

Find yourself a lesson set that teaches chords and their playing. Set aside part of your practice time specifically for that. Use a metronome and slowly increase the speed of your chord drills from week to week. Take a look at this tutorial by Ben Lindholm... I like it a lot. https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=18125&s_id=1391

Most of all, have fun. It's not always easy but... check my signature block below.

john

EDIT: William MG slipped in just before I posted. I like his approach too.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
08/20/2019 7:21 pm

Hi

I am 51 and started learning back in Feb and this is my approach which I have based on my days in martial arts drawing a long bow maybe how the learning curve maybe the same .

Years ago I got into Karate later in life and to obtain our first coloured belt we would have to perform the kata that went along with that belt

Kata being a set pattern of moves .

Looking back on that first grading everyone's Kata would possibly look not so flash and certainly not as good as they worked through the ranks . Even though we had to learn other Katas we still went back to the first one and as our techniques on Karate devolped so did that first Kata to the piont where we were performing it at a way better level infact to the point where I become a instructor myself.

my point is I will practice the lessons over and over however realizing that as my guitar playing improves so will they. However just like in Karate I will move on to other areas which will improve my ability. This when I revist a particular piece find I have improved... just like in Karate you just keep building and building. a first grade belt couldn't perform the first kata like a black belt without pracitising other techniques. We used to ask whats the difference between a white belt and a black belt ... simple practice and training .. hope that helps move on to other areas you will improve just keep revisiting your old stuff from time to time

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.