View post (Chord change speed problems)

View thread

Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
08/20/2019 7:21 pm

Hi

I am 51 and started learning back in Feb and this is my approach which I have based on my days in martial arts drawing a long bow maybe how the learning curve maybe the same .

Years ago I got into Karate later in life and to obtain our first coloured belt we would have to perform the kata that went along with that belt

Kata being a set pattern of moves .

Looking back on that first grading everyone's Kata would possibly look not so flash and certainly not as good as they worked through the ranks . Even though we had to learn other Katas we still went back to the first one and as our techniques on Karate devolped so did that first Kata to the piont where we were performing it at a way better level infact to the point where I become a instructor myself.

my point is I will practice the lessons over and over however realizing that as my guitar playing improves so will they. However just like in Karate I will move on to other areas which will improve my ability. This when I revist a particular piece find I have improved... just like in Karate you just keep building and building. a first grade belt couldn't perform the first kata like a black belt without pracitising other techniques. We used to ask whats the difference between a white belt and a black belt ... simple practice and training .. hope that helps move on to other areas you will improve just keep revisiting your old stuff from time to time