Power Chords - Why?

poshgirl
poshgirl
05/07/2018 7:00 pm

Hi there - I am going throught the fundamental courses and just finished the 1st course - yay! Super glad I took the course. Really helpful and the way the site is set up is pretty amazing.

I am ready to start the 2nd course but the first thing is power chords.

Can someone tell me how power chords are used? I assume they are mainly for rock...?

I am trying to determine if they are going to be something I need to know along the way...I want to play classical and country.

Thank you,

Maggie

# 1
Meridirh
Full Access
Meridirh
Full Access
05/08/2018 10:32 am

I can't speak for country players but as a classical guitarist myself, I use powerchords for arranging only. I've not used many so far, mainly due to counter point in classical music but for some instances in which I want to add some of my own perspectives I sometimes toy around with them.

For country, however, I'm pretty sure you would find some use for them on a regular basis.

Limits are selfmade. Break beyond them!

www.meridirhproductions.com | Too old to learn multiple instruments? Let's put it to a test...

Guitar: Started January 2016

Styles/Genres I am currently studying:

- Classical Guitar

- Latin Style (Flamenco, Soleares)

- Folk Style (Pop, Celtic, Irish, Gypsi)

- (Fingerstyle) Blues

- (Fingerstyle) Jazz

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/08/2018 2:59 pm
Originally Posted by: poshgirl

Hi there - I am going throught the fundamental courses and just finished the 1st course - yay! Super glad I took the course. Really helpful and the way the site is set up is pretty amazing.

I am ready to start the 2nd course but the first thing is power chords.

Can someone tell me how power chords are used? I assume they are mainly for rock...?

I am trying to determine if they are going to be something I need to know along the way...I want to play classical and country.

Thank you,

Maggie

The simple answer is; yes.

A few things to keep in mind, anything you can learn about playing guitar will be useful to you. Though you may rarely use it in classical, you will definately come across them in country. Sure, not as common as Metallica songs, but you will.

The important thing to keep in mind is if you have a chance to learn and understand something, learn it. From your question, I thought I'd take a look at the Power Chord section and it's pretty quick and easy. No harm and taking a few minutes to do it.

So often when I started playing way back when, I skipped some fendemental stuff and I was a fool to do so.

My two pennies...

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/08/2018 3:03 pm
Originally Posted by: poshgirl

Great question!

Yes, power chords are more widely used in rock style guitar playing. A little in modern country. Very rarely in classical.

However, power chords are great way to combine fretboard note location knowledge & scale formation. They are also a great way to transition from open chords to barre chords.

They are great way to start to get a handle on the shapes & sounds of chord progressions & bass motion. So, even if you never use another power chord after learning them, or play one when you start to play classical music, that knowledge & skill will benefit you immensely.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
poshgirl
poshgirl
05/09/2018 2:37 am

Hey!

I think that all helps a lot - Thanks so much for replying! I really appreciate it :)

# 5
seay.james
Full Access
seay.james
Full Access
05/12/2018 5:16 pm

Lots of great replies here already. My 2 cents...

If you play classical, you will encounter the power chord shape quite often in the form of a "dyad" (2-note harmony). It may not be root-fifth but it will be there. Try this...

play 6th fret of the A string and 8th fret of the D string (the power chord)

-then-

play 6th fret of the A string and 7th fret of the D string (dominant tri-tone)

-then-

play the 5th fret of the A string and the 8th fret of the D string (inverted 1-3 dyad)

See how that resolves? We are using the power chord shape as a dyad. You will encounter this all of the time in classical. It will be how you generate harmonic movement.

Also, for any music using overdrive/distortion including modern country or any large band situation (including classical), dropping some chord tones out (or spreading them between instruments), will prevent the overall sound from becoming too muddy.

So even if power chords feel like a waste of time for your genre choices, they are building blocks for lots of other things.

(video of Bach being played by 4 classical guitars...I believe I hear some 1-5 dyads/power chords in there!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_nnpsIEAw

# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/18/2018 2:54 am

Not just useful for chunky rhythm. I use them a lot for arpeggios and playing lead as well. If anything...you cant know too much.

Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/18/2018 1:26 pm

Seriously. This is the kind of thing you need. Though you might not need much in the first Fundementals (F1) course, there is Fundementals 1 and 2 and 2 might have a little more for you. Following that, there is a world of things here to learn here. Lots of stuff on theory, chords, how all that works together, style studies (rock, blues, jazz etc).

I've been playing since 1982 (with a little time off) and if I need, there is stuff here that I can learn from. I was self taught minus a very guitar teacher-type lessons. I tried books and didn't really enjoy the 'cold-ness' of those (much like tabs). I would have loved to have GT back then. It builds you up with the things you need.

I know, it sounds like I'm selling it..I am...and I'm not even a paid spokesperson!

Worth considering.

# 8
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/06/2018 10:41 pm
Originally Posted by: alffvdh

I have contacted GT Admin about this SPAM. I'm sure they will attend to it soon.

Thank you for your patience with the spam bots everyone. We're taking care of the issue!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 9
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
09/07/2018 1:16 am

Thanks GT Admin!

# 10
gimme13x
gimme13x
04/16/2020 4:55 am

i am having a hard time playing power chord

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.