Guitar Mags

Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/23/2004 5:15 am
The other day I was in the grocery store and snagged July's issue of Guitar World, the one with Zakk Wylde on the cover. I was just wondering if any of y'all have a subscription to a guitar magazine, and if you have any recommendations for me because I'm gonna sign up for one here pretty soon. I liked Guitarworld alright, but before I lay my money down, I wanna know if there are better ones out there. I'm into the virtuoso's so if you know of a magazine that that leans more in that direction; rather than, say, the latest nu-metal band, that would be the one for me. Thanks.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 1
Digit
Digit
06/23/2004 5:36 am
They're all a waste of money in my opinion.
If you remove all the advertisements you're left with about a pamphlets worth of information...most of which you can get off the internet for free.
Either read em for free in the store or just buy individual issues for specific information you need.
They also recycle the same stuff over and over again aimed mostly at the beginner to intermediate player. After a few years you realize they aren't telling you anything you don't already know.
Think of it this way... an interview with Zack Wilde (whoever that is) was probably written by a guy just like you on his computer somewhere and sold to the magazine for about $400. It's useful if he's asked the right questions but more than likely, half of them will be useless information most of which you probably already know if you already follow the guys career. Meantime you spend an hour reading through hundreds of advertisements and think you actually got something of value, when all you did was read the same information that's on the advertisers web pages.
The monthly columns are the same sort of information you can get out of any book from the library. (also free)
Hell, just use Google and look through the newsgroups. You'll probably find the article reposted.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/23/2004 12:01 pm
Last year I had subscriptions to both GuitarWorld (aimed at 14 year-olds)
and Guitar One. GO was my favorite out of the two however for the princely sum of 19 bucks, I haven't renewed my subscription to either of them !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
06/24/2004 5:33 pm
i personally dont mind them there a good read for the crapper
# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
06/25/2004 1:22 pm
I find guitar one to be a homage to all that is canadian...go guitar one!
:cool: ... guitar world is too heavy for me...
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 5
RevRaz
RevRaz
06/25/2004 3:47 pm
Actually, Zakk Wylde is a contributor to Guitar World, and the interview was done by a Staff member, not some guy like you.

And if you dont know who he is, you should research his name and find out.

Originally Posted by: DigitThink of it this way... an interview with Zack Wilde (whoever that is) was probably written by a guy just like you on his computer somewhere and sold to the magazine for about $400.

# 6
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/26/2004 8:29 am
Originally Posted by: PoleraI find guitar one to be a homage to all that is canadian...go guitar one!
:cool: ... guitar world is too heavy for me...

What do you mean by "too heavy"?
My YouTube Profile
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/27/2004 3:49 am
While the mags can be pretty ****ty at times, it's always worth the other point of view, and it gives you an oppurtunity to enhance your knowledge on certain aspects of gear, due to the mass amounts of gear advertisements in the mags. I always see at least one piece of gear in the guitar mags that I've never seen before, usually something very obscure by a small company, but everything counts!

~Incidents
# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/28/2004 6:43 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenWhile the mags can be pretty ****ty at times, it's always worth the other point of view, and it gives you an oppurtunity to enhance your knowledge on certain aspects of gear, due to the mass amounts of gear advertisements in the mags. I always see at least one piece of gear in the guitar mags that I've never seen before, usually something very obscure by a small company, but everything counts!

~Incidents

Yea, like the jellifish *sarcasm*

Anyone try one of these things out? I suppose I'm curious...
My YouTube Profile
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.