writers block

Choco_Man
Choco_Man
06/21/2004 6:25 am
iv been playin for a wile now and i have a big prob. with me burning my self out. dose any one have any good tricks or insperations that cold get me writen again???

thx.
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
06/21/2004 7:54 am
listening to all kinds of different music helps alot. you get loads of ideas by doing that and it also helps you broadening your musical horizon.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
06/22/2004 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: Azraellistening to all kinds of different music helps alot. you get loads of ideas by doing that and it also helps you broadening your musical horizon.

I agree with this 100%.......Don't let it get you down, every musician go's through it.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/27/2004 4:03 am
I truly believe that the hard part about music isn't the "getting good" part, but the "writing music with integrity that people will like, yet still retains my personal idea, or the band i'm in's idea, of what the music should be like".

I do it like this; My songs have to tell a story. If they don't tell a story (usually NOT love, and if it is, its not blatant), then they are worthless. Writing an instrumental is a different way, completely. But anyways, then I write the solos and harmonies and things of that nature. Every musician goes through a rut in some aspect, and alot of times the rut in one area means you focus on another, and then you have to balance it out. It's pretty rare for me to get in a complete rut, i think it only happened to me once. Anyways, you can get out of a rut by doing something out of the ordinary. Alot of times, you're in a rut because you're doing "the same old ****".

~Incidents
# 4
dinell2
dinell2
06/27/2004 6:40 pm
Sometimes, we just can't stop the juices from flowing and others, we are absolutely certain we'll never writer another song again. What causes these extremes? Any number of factors, both within our power, and out of our control.
Now, you don't need anyone to tell you what to do when the song ideas are flowing one after another--other than to try and hang onto as many of those ideas, lyrically and musically, as you can, even if you don't get to "finish" them. They just might come in handy when you hit a dry spell! Tape recorders and bits of paper are sources for sudden inspiration when times are tough. I try to record little pieces of music I create on one of those microcassette recorders. I remember once finding a tape and wondering what was on it. I found a melody that I'd forgotten about and BANG! Out came a new song. That's how "ONE MORE" was born.

But what if...what if you've been sitting in front of a blank page for days, or even weeks? What can you do? A vicious cycle begins--the less you write, the more you panic--the more you panic, the less you write.

If it's to a real extreme, I'd suggest you first STOP TRYING so hard for a couple of days. Sometimes it works like reverse-psychology, if you tell yourself you can't write...well, you never know!

Here are some other tips to get past writer's block:

Get into some reading--new books, fiction, non-fiction, magazine articles, anything

Try another instrument--sometimes the sound of a different guitar or a new keyboard sound will get the ball rolling. Play an instrument you don't normally play!

Go for a drive, do some housework or gardenwork, something that will allow your creative mind to wander.

Find a new coffeeshop or hangout you haven't been to before. Go alone and be an observer and open yourself to everything you see and hear (and bring that notebook!)

Listen to some music you haven't heard much of...classical, alternative, jazz...it just might point you in a fresh direction.

Learn a new chord, or progression, or even a whole song...the bigger the challenge the better.
http://groups.msn.com/GuitarPage
# 5
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
06/27/2004 8:01 pm
good post dinell2....basiaclly do what he said..I usually give it a break and play a game or get on the internet or somthing that doesnt require guitar then I come back to it later..If i still feel the same then I leave it for a little bit longer
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 6
saigonpunch
saigonpunch
08/14/2004 12:25 pm
Probably, you just need some rest. There are really times when making music can be really hard. And yes, listen to other forms of music. Listen to everything, even those that would normally turn you off. They give great ideas. And of course, you may also need some inspiration to get those creative juices going. I don't know where you're gonna get it though.
# 7
TheDirt
TheDirt
08/16/2004 12:08 am
Try this: Go to the beach (do NOT bring your guitar) and relax a while (Corona helps :D ). Next, find a pretty, single girl on the beach and take her out to dinner and maybe to shoot pool or see a movie or something.

I was in a rut, and the above is how I just spent my weekend... I found inspiration the second I stepped back in my house and picked up my guitar :cool:
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 8
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/19/2005 4:39 am
listen to classical music that doesn't use the instrument that you play. Go back to the basics. Or just rip someone elses stuff off and modify it enough that you can call it your own.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 9
Re2point0
Re2point0
01/22/2005 3:38 am
what kind or writers block you having, musical, or lyrical?

But none the less, If you want to have a song that people or gonna wanna listen to, then your life may need to be dramatic. May sound corny but that helps me alot.

When I'm going through alot of s*** in my life, I write, and then its inspirational kinda stuff, and its crazy.

It also depends on what you listen to...........
# 10
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/26/2005 6:47 am
hey dude i think someone already mentioned this but when i get a writters block i do two things
1-shred until i feel really good and relaxed and then i can usually write
2-if its just not happening, if you have another hobby like drawing,sports or whatever somethin a bit active, something that will make you happy or whatnot.
this usually helps
lets say i get home from school if i sit in front of the computer my life is pretty dull and when i pick up my guitar i got nothin but a D major so hehe so i do somethin
i go shoot pool, or just do something else i really enjoy and then come back to it.
k good luck man
and dont put your guitar done for to long
you gotta keep up those chops :cool:
k man all the best to you
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 11
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
02/01/2005 7:43 am
listen to as much new music as you can.....find something that really lights a fire under your ass. try listening to different music styles. though i know it sounds self-defeating....if you can't find any new music....jam to some of your old favorites...play along with your favorite records. might delay your writing some....but it will get you going again.

though i wouldn't suggest this as a standard thing...but i also find getting drunk sometimes helps me out with just jamming and coming up with new ideas to be developed later....more like getting a good buzz going......not piss drunk...piss drunk is more writing lyrics and hoping you're not interrupted by having to puke.

then again, i'm a hack of a songwriter....haha.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 12
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/02/2005 11:34 pm
I think writter's block comes from plateauing at what you already know. Do what dinell said, broaden your horizons. News ideas will open you up alot, and don't be too critical on what you are doing. This goes back to plateauing, you've gotten tired of what you can do. Learn something new.

Don't throw out ideas either, ideas are ideas. Sometimes getting through the front door to a good song starts with an idea.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 13
punkmaster69
punkmaster69
02/03/2005 3:57 am
4 some reseon i cant write and good song i have great words but they dont sound rite.

punkmaster69
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.