A Serious Minor Question

zorn981
zorn981
06/11/2004 2:25 pm
hey, I got a question regarding majors and minors, what exactly differentiates a major key from a minor key say the difference between the key of D and the key of Dm, I know already about soloing over a minor key versus a major and vice versa, Im asking what makes the entire key minor I guess is the best way I can think of to ask this question.
thanks
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/11/2004 7:01 pm
Well, for one thing minor keys/scales include the minor third. In the case of D, it's the F. D major has the major third (F#) instead.
# 2
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2004 11:58 pm
True, a minor scale has to have a minor 3rd, being 3 half steps (3 frets) up from the root.

They also USUALLY have a minor 7th, which is one whole step (2 frets) down from the root.

And another thing that come into play is the fifth. If it has a perfect fifth, which is 7 half steps (7 frets) from the root, AND a minor third, it is minor.

Sometimes its good to just learn your basic minor keys: Aeolin, Dorian, Phrygian. In MOST minor keyed music you never see anything besides those scales/keys/whatever.

But you can usually tell by a third, but also check your fifth to make sure your not playing some weird diminished or half-diminished stuff.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.