Acceptable amount of fret noise?

ChromeBeast
ChromeBeast
05/27/2004 10:28 pm
A bit of strange question, but here it is.

How much fret noise is acceptable when setting the action low. I am just messing around and setting up one of my guitars as a shred machine.

Right now I have the neck set to about .010 at the 8th fret with the first and last fret depressed. So the neck has a nice straight feel with a slight concave.

Next I brought the saddles down to a pretty sick height. When I fret and bend all the notes, nothing bottoms out, but I do get a buzz. When played clean, or not plugged in, you can hear the buzz a little. When I fire up a nice rectified tone, all the notes sustain ok.

It's a bit alien for me, since I typically set my guitars for absolute clear tonal qualities in all situations. I played my buddies ESP that had sick action and decided to try it.

After setting it up this way, I can get some real nice legato lines rolling, and of course arpeggios roll a bit easier.

I just wanted to get others opinions. I already have my answer: it will work as long as I am not playing any clean jazz progressions through a clean tone. It limits the functionality of the guitar, but improves "shred" performance. :eek:
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.