Guitar Lessons Wanted

moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
05/22/2004 1:39 am
Hi Guys!

This has been bugging me, i have been playing for awhile so i am about at an intermediate level for guitar...but i am now stuck in a rut i wanted to take my playing to the next level and learn about the theory/scales...shredding and thought i can get this kind of help from a professional guitar teacher.

I haven't went to a demo lesson yet but are guitar lessons helpful in progressing yourself as a guitarist?
# 1
basics
basics
05/22/2004 10:48 am
Most would say obviously yes, how could it be otherwise, but it's my thought that lessons inhibit creativity, as well as your own personal style, and it cuts corners in the learning process where it otherwise wouldn't've if learning on your own. It's alright in classical, where there's only one proper way of doing things, but in anything else I'm against it.
# 2
beginner
beginner
05/22/2004 11:38 am
Originally Posted by: basicsMost would say obviously yes, how could it be otherwise, but it's my thought that lessons inhibit creativity, as well as your own personal style, and it cuts corners in the learning process where it otherwise wouldn't've if learning on your own. It's alright in classical, where there's only one proper way of doing things, but in anything else I'm against it.

In my opinion that can only happen, if you get the wrong teacher. If you find one who is 1.) really good and known as a player and teacher 2.) has a lot of experience in teaching(10-20 years), it wonĀ“t have any disadvantages.

My advice: Search a private teacher without regular lessons. He will give you enough material and advices and explanation, which will be enough for quite a long time. Now I have lessons maybe twice a year, and my teacher said that soon I wonĀ“t need him anymore, and that I would also get independent, but he mentioned that that is the right way.
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/22/2004 4:06 pm
I highly recommend getting a teacher. If one blames inhibited creativity on the teacher, then he just isn't willing to admit that a lack of creativity comes from one's own self, not from someone else. Unless your teacher forces you to play only his licks and NEVER make up your own, then I'm going to assume that he will not "inhibit creativity." He will, however, give you ideas that you can build upon, nto only that, but it is really helpful to have person to person lessons when learning new techniques.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/22/2004 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI highly recommend getting a teacher. If one blames inhibited creativity on the teacher, then he just isn't willing to admit that a lack of creativity comes from one's own self, not from someone else. Unless your teacher forces you to play only his licks and NEVER make up your own, then I'm going to assume that he will not "inhibit creativity." He will, however, give you ideas that you can build upon, nto only that, but it is really helpful to have person to person lessons when learning new techniques.

I second that. But when you get one make sure that the teacher isn't the whole part of your "learning experience" on guitar. Even if you do have a teacher, obviously, you be learnign techniques on your own. The only experience of having a my guitar teacher limit my "creativity" is by him not teaching me how to palm mute, because he thinks it violates good techniques. But when I asked for him to teach me how, he did. Just find the right teacher for you.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.