I don't believe these guys!

Inisfail
Inisfail
05/08/2004 9:49 am
Hey

Are you guys familiar to this: "Hi, my name is XXXXXX, I'm 13 years old and I have only playing for one year. This is a Malmsteen solo I took out by ear and now I'm gonna shredd this **** in 16th notes 260 bpm." And the shredding is good but no way you can learn shredd that fast in only one year? No way..
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 1
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
05/08/2004 1:38 pm
You can, but doubtful at 13.

If someone had no life whatsoever, NEVER went out and put in about 5 hours a day concentrating on alternate picking and shredding, then im sure they could easily play malmsteen in a year.

I don't know anyone like that though :)

- J
# 2
basics
basics
05/08/2004 1:48 pm
me. :D

What's the problem with having a 5 character line compared to 10? 3 or 4 should be the minimum, curse. This isn't quite censorship; it is, however, inhibiting my ability to correctly express myself.

I call for a revolution, or at the very least a change to this most abominable violation of my right to freedom of speech. :mad:
# 3
beginner
beginner
05/09/2004 12:15 am
Originally Posted by: aiwass It just goes to show how guitar playing has evolved over the years. No matter how much you like your Claptons and your Hendrixes, there is no way around the fact that guitarists today are better than they were forty, thirty, twenty or even ten years ago.

Guitarists today get better and better in technique, but on the other they get worse and worse musicians. I´ve nearly not heard anyone, who plays now with the same feel and musicial abilities as Hendrix and Clapton.
# 4
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/09/2004 12:38 am
I agree with you aiwass

So these guys buy Rusty's instruction video and just play the thing over and over again? Will they even play guitar for any longer at all? I played for 1 year and a half on an electric guitar without any amp. I havn't been playing with an amp for a year yet. This sounds stupid, but most people I guess wouldn't have that patience I got. My friends played for 3 weeks and then they quited. They said they didn't do any progress.. Well, I didn't do any progress at all for almost 4 month's.. Grr..

Oh, I figured out I'm just yellous. :(
# 5
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/09/2004 12:44 am
melt banana... now they are the daddies..

f-ck feeling, f-ck shredding... think punk speed up, then some more, then some more... It's really weird... I saw them live in november, and for live show, I've never see anything like it (it was actually quite incomprehensible at first)... I suppouse that's what hendrix must have seemed in the early days..
I really suggest you have a listen to melt banana, it's VERY weird, but is really satifying after a good few listens...
the bonus track on "teen shiny" is just the guitarist making bubble sounds with his guitar...

It reminds me a bit of the fall, but with the japanese obsesion with technical virtousity, and amusing gimmickary... I think all the musians are technically able, but the singer and the drummer really stand out in my mind... maybe becuase the drums were so prominant live, and the singer was looking like she was convulsing...

Seriously, whether you like punk or not (even though melt banana is somewhere between thrash and cartoon music), you should go and see melt banana live... the sodding problem is that the'r carrier varies a bit in it's inventiveness... but the guitarist really could floor tom morrello when it comes to whammy pedals/ sampling..
the thing that really made me smile though, was when they did like 8 songs in 2 minutes...
# 6
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/09/2004 12:54 am
Could you recommend any particallurayayaya songs? =D
# 7
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/09/2004 1:12 am
http://www.southern.com/southern/band/MELTB/vids/sick_zip.mov

Video, but the sound is poor, and I dont really like that song to be honest, though i like their off beat japanese humour..

Songs I'd Recommend:

First Contact from Planet Q: VERY trashy... It's the thrashiest thing i've heard (no, seriously). THIS would be the melt banana song to recommend.. I'll see if i can upload it for you all... (as soon as i find the damn cd).

Free the bee: More assecable, with a very cool drum opening, and great drum roll/fill/ whatever when she says "free the bee!"

Have a look round... I think their new album cell scape has some cool production on it...

Rough Dogs have bumps: http://www.skingraftrecords.com/mp3/LP%20MP3%27s/MeltBanana_RoughDogs.mp3
It's not their most showy song.. but it gives you an idea... I love this now, but god knows i had to listten to it a number of times.

http://www.supersphere.com/play/web2.supersphere.com/Content/TV/meltbanana_poly.rm if you have Real player.

I'm going to try to find more... but dont go into it expecting Creed... they do remind me a bit of arab on radar.
Enjoy, and please tell me what you think (good or bad).
# 8
C - Diggity
C - Diggity
05/09/2004 4:41 am
After watching that first video you posted I have a hard time believing that you were serious about melted banana....That was nothing but a terrible pile of **** and I shut it off after like the first minute of sounds of girls screaming/animals dying (whatever the crap that was)...Probably the worst thing I've ever heard, and I hate it more than even Creed or NickleBack, which is saying alot.
# 9
C - Diggity
C - Diggity
05/09/2004 4:50 am
Yep that's **** alright...Listened to both links, never made it past around the 35 second mark....Reeeeal **** you had me listen to there. Sorry mate, I'm usually such a nice fella :confused:
# 10
beginner
beginner
05/09/2004 9:56 am
Originally Posted by: aiwass...and 90% of the "feel" in Clapton and Hendrix' playing is in your head. Feel is entirely subjective, which makes it very easy to say that the "old guys" played with more feel. Tell yourself enough times, and you'll believe it. There is absolutely no valid argument for why there shouldn't be players today who can play with just as much feel and emotion as any of the oldies.

I didn´t say that there aren´t any players today who play with just as much feel, I just said that I hear them very rarely. It just seems to me that many people lose more and more respect for these guys, although you hear influences of hendrix in everone´s playing. It just disturbs me that many players just concentrate on technique and often forget the musicial part, and as a result they can shred perfectly but you can´t stand listining to THEIR stuff longer than 5 minutes because they can´t create any melodic part which catchs the listeners ear!
# 11
beginner
beginner
05/09/2004 10:03 am
Originally Posted by: educatedfilmmelt banana... now they are the daddies..

f-ck feeling, f-ck shredding... think punk speed up, then some more, then some more... It's really weird... I saw them live in november, and for live show, I've never see anything like it (it was actually quite incomprehensible at first)... I suppouse that's what hendrix must have seemed in the early days..
I really suggest you have a listen to melt banana, it's VERY weird, but is really satifying after a good few listens...
the bonus track on "teen shiny" is just the guitarist making bubble sounds with his guitar...

It reminds me a bit of the fall, but with the japanese obsesion with technical virtousity, and amusing gimmickary... I think all the musians are technically able, but the singer and the drummer really stand out in my mind... maybe becuase the drums were so prominant live, and the singer was looking like she was convulsing...

Seriously, whether you like punk or not (even though melt banana is somewhere between thrash and cartoon music), you should go and see melt banana live... the sodding problem is that the'r carrier varies a bit in it's inventiveness... but the guitarist really could floor tom morrello when it comes to whammy pedals/ sampling..
the thing that really made me smile though, was when they did like 8 songs in 2 minutes...

Yeah half a year ago I´ve seen them live too, in Innsbruck. It was really weird, very strange guitarists, but nevertheless I quite enjoyed their concert. The 8 songs you meant were called "**** you suzy" or something like that. That was really cool!!
# 12
u10ajf
u10ajf
05/10/2004 2:07 pm
Playing with feeling can be quite hard, it's not easy to turn that sort of thing on. I used to get goosepimples from playing and love the sounds I got. Now my playing bores me ****less sometimes. I think real feeling, real expressiveness comes partly from the way you stress different notes by playing them with different strengths, with this in mind I can recommend "violining", the volume swell technique. This you do by twisting your little finger around the volume pot, playing the string with the volume down and then increasing it. This cuts off the sound of the attack of the note and you get this really slick smooth sound which I particularly like with a bit of gain, a slow chorus and most importantly some reverb or delay.

More soul? Add some vibrato. Vibrato can make a single note beautiful. Getting a good vibrato is bloody hard work.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 13
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
05/10/2004 7:23 pm
ha yeah but tryin violinin with an Lp or anythin that aint a strat or designed on one! On my LP i can just about violin in the highest strings but forget it on low E! true good virato makes the world os difference, but soul/feeling is more than just slow calculated notes, it can be about just letting go and soloing as fast as you can actually forgettin anythin else but feelin good! cos thats what soloin should make you feel. however you can only really get to this level of playing by learning techniques that you can use with out thinking.
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.