Finger Stretching and Conditioning

Rockin Rick
Rockin Rick
05/08/2004 4:51 am
I remember a while back when I used to study the martial arts and at that time my instructors really taught the importance of stretching and relaxation to keep your body loose and to be most effective in your movements. I've learned to apply those things I've learned to other things in life, such as my job. I do construction for a living and It really helps out to warm up the body and stretch to avoid injury while picking up heavy objects. I'm just a beginner playing the electric guitar and I've been trying to spend time streaching out my neck, body, wrist and fingers. Does anyone know of any good exercises to stretch out the fingers and also exercises to strenghten them? Also I have kinda of thick fingers and I wish my fingers were longer and more flexible. How do you get your fingers to be more flexible? Does this just get better with experience as you have more time in playing the guitar? I'd really like to increase my flexibility. Thanks for any and all help. Oh, by the way it's my first day here in the forum. Nice to meet you all.
[FONT=Arial Black]Rockin Rick[/font]
Originally Posted by: Rockin RickYou Never get a second chance at a first impression! Make it a good one!
# 1
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/08/2004 9:04 am
Originally Posted by: Rocking RickDoes anyone know of any good exercises to stretch out the fingers and also exercises to strenghten them?[/quote]
ey..
http://www.guitartricks.com/2000/search.php?input=stretching&submit=go

Originally Posted by: Rockin RickDoes this just get better with experience as you have more time in playing the guitar?

Yes indeed. It takes a while, but when you least expect it, it'll be like:
"hmm, I haven't been able to reach that fret before...?"
So just keep up the stretching and your fingers will soon follow. Or something.

[quote=Rockin Rick]Oh, by the way it's my first day here in the forum. Nice to meet you all.

Welcome!
# 2
Rockin Rick
Rockin Rick
05/08/2004 7:13 pm
Thanks MC! I'm going to try out some of those stretches off the link you posted.
Originally Posted by: Rockin RickYou Never get a second chance at a first impression! Make it a good one!
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/09/2004 1:47 am
I make mine run two laps before I start playing... :rolleyes:

# 4
basics
basics
05/10/2004 1:35 pm
You people stretch before or after you play? I hear stretching before you play (or warm up) only weakens and tears the muscles apart before you actually start using them and so is doing more harm then good.

Best to warm up, or do nothing at all, before you play and to stretch afterwards I think.
# 5
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/10/2004 11:44 pm
Don't wash your hands in cold water while or before you play.. That makes my fingers and hands completely frozen and I can barely switch between a Em/D chord and a Asus2.. ;)

Serious, if you start play very gently and without extreme stretch I think it will go fine.. But perhaps it can be good to massage you hands and muscles you will use, according to Rock Discipline, it's good.. Ah, do whatever feels best
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 6
Rockin Rick
Rockin Rick
05/19/2004 7:28 am
I can't take credit for this, but I found some great finger strengthening and stretches posted on another site. So I'm going to give credit for this to "LightRaven". So here they are:
Requested Finger Exercises

These exercises do not require your instrument... and they are pretty convienent as you can do them anywhere....

To increase Stretching distance:
This one sounds really stupid but it works... While watching tv or something of that effect, place your forearm between the fingers that you want to be able to stretch more... most common is sticking your arm between the middle and ring fingers... and the ring and pinky fingers... These three fingers have a hard time stretching and being independant of themselves because the muscles these fingers used are attatched to themselves, where as the muscle for the index finger is seperate from this muscle group. Once your fingers are comfortable with one part of the arm... which can take a couple of days, go to a thicker part of the arm.... don't over do this by going to the a really thick part of your arm first... The purpose of this exercise is to separate the muscle group attached to the last 3 fingers so they can be independent and strong... not rip the muscles!

To increase finger mobility and independence.. (which leads to strength):
Start in the position with your hands pressed together... palm to palm. Fold all fingers down, with your right hand index finger being first in the line of folded fingers. Then switch the line so that the left hand index finger is first in the line.. do this a couple of times to warm up the hands... The object it to not let your palms come undone.

Return to the plams/hands pressed together with the fingers lined up and pressed together with the opposite finger. Start with the index fingers by folding them down, right index finger first, then switch with the left index figner first. DO NOT LET THE OTHER FINGERS MOVE, OR THE HANDS TO COME APART! Do this slowly at first. Then go back into the start position and do this exercise again with the middle fingers... Fold them over the hand with the right one first in line and then switch so the left it first in line. Then you do this same thing with the ring and pinky fingers. 10 sets for each finger sould be sufficient for the first couple of time you do these... eventually, you want to beable to do this very fast, with out the other fingers moving or the plams of your hands coming apart.

You then do these exercises in sets of 2... the index and middle fingers, then the middle and ring fingers, and the ring and pinky finger. Then you the index and ring and then the middle and pinky. Then you do this in sets of three.. the index, middle and ring, then the middle, ring and pinky.

These exercised are usually hard at first because you are not used to moving fingers individually, or with odd sets, especially when you are not allowed to move the other fingers that normally move with the others.... the object is to do these faster and faster (there is no set limit after you are able to do it good)

WARNING... if you get pins and needles in your hands... or while you are doing the exercises your fingers are getting cold.. stop what you are doing... you are either pinching a nerve, or restricting blood flow.... these exercises are good warm ups before you play or practice, but learn when you are doing too much because they are very demanding on the muscle groups....

Exercise sets #2:

Pinky Swirl:
This is used and was taught to me by a good friend and a Timbali player (A latin percussion instrument, incase you were wondering)

With your hands in fists, and your pinkys sticking out, try swirling your pinky's in complete circles, without undoing the fist, or moving other fingers. You might have to do one pinky at a time until you are able to do both at once. You can also do this with the ring and middle fingers..... you can do it with the index too, but that is really easy for the index finger to do.

More finger Independance:

start with your hands in front of you, palms down and your wrists resting on something. Keep your fingers tightly together, move your index finger down but only by the primary knuckle. Like creating an "L" with your fingers. Return the index finger and do this with the rest of the fingers all while not moving any other fingers. Then you do it in sets of Index, Middle; Middle, Ring; Ring, Pinky. The in sets of 3, index, middle and ring; middle, ring, and pinky. Then complete this exercise with the set of index, ring; index, pinky; then middle, pink

These are really hard to do as you are straining and putting alot of pressure on the knuckle, they also tend to be a little painful.

Next Exercise:

Start with hands in fists. Raise the index fingers, lower it (Like you're saying "We're number 1) Raise the Middle fingers, lower them (Like you are flipping someone off.) Then raise the ring fingers, lower them, and lastly raise the pinky fingers and lower them. Do not move any fingers. Then you do it in sets of 2: Index, Middle. Middle, Ring. Ring, Pinky. Then sets of Three. Index, middle, ring. Middle, ring, pinky. Then in the sets of Index, ring. Index, pinky. Middle, pinky.

Remember..... Any significant pain, tingling of fingers or hands, or the sudden coldness of hands or fingertips means you should stop and shake out your hands.... and let them rest!

Enjoy guys!

LightRaven
# 7
Rockin Rick
Rockin Rick
05/19/2004 7:34 am
Here's even some more exercises that I found. Again, credit goes out to "LightRaven" for this information. So here it is:

can give you several thumb exercises to stretch, increase mobility and strengthen the thumb muscle.

Here we go.

Exercise #1
-Relieves sores and tension in the thumb
-Helps restore full range of motion
-Helps relieve stress in the thumb

Hold your right hand in front of your body, fingers spread wide apart. Place the first and second fingers of your left hand in the space between the thumb and forefinger of your right hand. Holding this position, press with the left hand. Slowly close your right hand until you have a tightly closed fist. Hold this position for 15 to 20 seconds. Release your grip and shake out both hands throughly. Reverse and repeat for the other hand.

Exercise #2
-Reduces tension in the thumb
-Increases range of motion
-Helps relieve tension in the palm

Grasp the flesh between the thumb and forfinger of your right hand with the thumb and forefinger of your left hand. Gently squeeze this tissue while closing your fingers and thumb. Hold this position for 5 to 10 seconds. While continueing to squeeze the fleshy tissue, slowly open the fingers and thumb of your right hand until they are spread apart. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds. Reverse and repeat for other hand.

Exercise #3
-Stretches thumb muscles at the back of the hand.
-Increases range of motion

With your hand held in front of you body, wrist straight, gently pulll the thumb straight in the front of your plam. Hold the stretch point until you feel release. (its not really pulling, you are taking the index finger and pushing the thumb to point straight ahead.... the original position before pushing the thumb is the "Hi" hand wave with space between the fingers) Then, Gently pull your thum toward the center of your palm. Keep your thumb striaght. Hold the stretch point until you feel release.

The more slowly and gently you perform this stretch, the most benefit you'll see from this stretch.

Exercise #4
-Releases tension at the base of thumb
-Stretches deep muscle of the thumb, palm-side

Place your hand flat on a table, wrist straight. Gently pull thumb away from the forefinger, creating as much distance between them as possible. Your other fingers should remain relaxed. Pause at the stretch point and wait for the release. Keeping other parts of your hand and arm relaxed, gently lift you thumb upward with the other hand. Never lift more than two inches. Hold the stretch point until you feel release.

Again, the more slowly you do this exercise, the more benefit there is.

Exercise#5
-Stretches thumb muscle near wrist
-Increases thumb flexability and range of motion
-Stretches wrist tissue at the base of the thumb

Extend your arm straight in front of you on a table. Turn your wrist outward and tuck your thumb under your hand. Keeping your thumb tucked under, and with the shoulders level, begin the draw back of your wrist toward the center of your body, keeping thumb tucked and fingers relaxed. Hold position and wait till you feel release.

Exercise #6
-Stretches deep thumb muscle
-Helps keep the thumb joint flexable
-Mobilizes the thumb joint at the wrist

Place your left hand on your left thigh with your fingers and thumb pointing toward the inside of your leg. Bend elbow out to the side, keep your fingers relaxed. Your wrist should be comfortably bent. Slowly begin to shrug your left shoulder. This will cause your elbow to straighten. Allow the muscle of your palm to roll up and away from the surface of your leg. The base of your thumb will be pressed into your leg. Pause at the stretch point and wait for the release. Repeat with other hand. BE VERY gentle with this exercise.

Exercise #7
-restores fluid movement to thumb muscle as they pass through the wrist
-Helps restore the wrist to full range of motion

Place your thumb inside your closed fist. Slowly rotate your fist in the widest circle possible. Take 15 to 20 seconds to complete one circle. Do two circles, first in one direction, then in the other. Repeate with other hand.

For an altered exercise, do the same thing, but pause every time you feel a stretch point in your thumb or wrist.

Ok... that is every thumb exercise I know.

Have fun, and be careful to not over stretch the thumbs.

LightRaven
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.