general moods and writing

TheWizard
TheWizard
04/26/2004 10:45 pm
Ok ive had a pretty rediculous situation with a girl that has gone on for about 2 months which has nearly driven me to insanity and I have not written one damn riff in those 2 months, now the months before that I had a pretty steady gf who I was pretty happy with and I was writing new stuff almost daily

has anyone noticed a correlation between general happiness and writing?
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/27/2004 12:12 am
Yeah, I've noticed that as well.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
I Suffer
I Suffer
04/27/2004 1:34 am
I have also. But usually it works the other way around. When im angry, or sad.. i write alot more. I'm working everyday in my studio figuring out new ideas . Not that i'm always sad or angry but those two emotions pull more out of me.

Personally i think relationships, good or bad, give alot of writing material and song ideas. :cool:
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/27/2004 10:52 am
normally iĀ“m in a very good mood (yes - iĀ“m that kind of sucker - always happy *LOL*).

i personally think, that - since creating certain MOODS is what music is all about - almost every situation in life has the potential to be turned into a musical event. be it good, bad, happy, frightening, melancholic - you name it.

iĀ“m not sure what i want to say with this, but i guess every musician should be able to turn any of his moods into music. and beeing in that certain mood should help. and i think beeing able to take your instrument in whatever mood you are and turn it into something creative is a monument of self controll and maturity.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
Death55
Death55
04/27/2004 6:32 pm
Hmm. I usually start playing guitar alot more when i'm just pissed off with everthing else. I always think to my self "cant be bothered with anything else anymore i might as well just get good at guitar".
I dont really get influenced by what happens to me in life but i do get influenced alot by what i listen to.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 5
TheWizard
TheWizard
04/27/2004 9:35 pm
I would agree with Azreal, but I when I'm happy I write any kind of music, happy, sad, heavy, light, whatever

but when im in a bad mood for an extended period of time I don't write anything
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 6
Death55
Death55
04/27/2004 10:07 pm
Originally Posted by: TheWizardI would agree with Azreal, but I when I'm happy I write any kind of music, happy, sad, heavy, light, whatever

but when im in a bad mood for an extended period of time I don't write anything

hmm. when i'm in a bad mood i just go crazy and start shredding and trying to play some really heavy stuff too but then again i do that when i'm drunk :D
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 7
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/27/2004 11:41 pm
I usually let my feelings write the music.... but when I'm sad a write a lot more...... usually I'm always happy though.....

If I got really depressed.... I try to play but nothing comes out..... I start to play... but after like 5 minutes I just can't anymore...
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 8
basics
basics
04/28/2004 2:53 am
I can't say I follow in the same example as you guys. I practice guitar, soloing, and if I've got some reason to write a tune (ie if I'm thinking about putting a band together or making a demo.. both of which really hasn't happened in a long time) then I'll put some riffs together or go over some old material. It's just a systematic process of piecing together different riffs to create a decently structured tune. Each one has a different FEEL, but they don't necessarily reflect my given mood or an emotion. I don't deal with lyrics at all anymore.

There was a time when I used to write songs about a certain event or what have you, but now it's more of a technical process ABABCAB etc .. this goes here, that goes there, bass'll do this, drum this, melody like this...
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/28/2004 3:11 am
Originally Posted by: basicsI can't say I follow in the same example as you guys. I practice guitar, soloing, and if I've got some reason to write a tune (ie if I'm thinking about putting a band together or making a demo.. both of which really hasn't happened in a long time) then I'll put some riffs together or go over some old material. It's just a systematic process of piecing together different riffs to create a decently structured tune. Each one has a different FEEL, but they don't necessarily reflect my given mood or an emotion. I don't deal with lyrics at all anymore.

There was a time when I used to write songs about a certain event or what have you, but now it's more of a technical process ABABCAB etc .. this goes here, that goes there, bass'll do this, drum this, melody like this...

You're not a man - you're a robot!!!!!!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 10
basics
basics
04/30/2004 4:20 am
Comprehension... Incomplete...

Must..

Self-destruct...

No, but I just don't display emotion in my music anymore. OH, yes I do! Jesus, it's either sex or raw anger against authority that is displayed in my tunes. I was just thinking along the lines of depression or love or lament towards my abusive childhood kind of BS.

Sex or anger against authority!!!!
# 11
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/30/2004 1:14 pm
I can write when I'm any mood pretty much, but there comes a point where I could harness an emotion but I'm too pissed off to write or care about it for that matter.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.