Dream Theater... f***ing sweet or what???!!!

gusjDT
gusjDT
04/25/2004 5:53 am
Tell me.. Drea Theater.. cool.. sweet... kick ass.. or WHAT?? Post as many comments as you want :D
Go Petrucci!! Ra-ra Vai!! Die 182!! ****ers...
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/25/2004 7:14 am
Yes, they are good. Petrucci certainly knows what he's doing.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
gusjDT
gusjDT
04/25/2004 7:20 am
dude, you're stalking me. lol
# 3
Petz
Petz
04/25/2004 7:36 am
i would like dream theater more without the singer :p but they're really awesome.
# 4
Death55
Death55
04/25/2004 11:42 am
Originally Posted by: Petzi would like dream theater more without the singer :p but they're really awesome.

One of my friends always complains about that kind or singing. He also hates the keyboard. I think they are a cool band. I have petrucci's dvd :D
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 5
sambob
sambob
04/25/2004 12:30 pm
I like Dream Theater a lot, except for a few things.

1) I don't like the new album. At all, I think its crap.

2) I don't like Petrucci. Maybe this is heresy... but I just think that guy has got awfully boring, ESPECIALLY his lead playing. Well, no, not his lead playing. Just his solos. When he plays along with the keyboard and bass I love it. But his solos are just wank wank wank. When your keyboardist has awesome solos, without the wank factor... you kind of have to follow that (in my opinion of course).
# 6
basics
basics
04/25/2004 12:45 pm
I think Petrucci is a perfect balance between technicality and style. Buddy's singing suits the music (a lot like Rush I find) as does everything else that Petrucci's rigged up.

Petrucci is one of the best guitarists out there, IMO.
# 7
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
04/25/2004 3:07 pm
Dream Thetaer is my favorite band for many reasons. But many of you are wrong, because alot of people think that Pertucci is the backbone of the band. I think Portnoy is. ( the drummer). ive seen them 6 times live, and Portnoy changes more time signatures in one minute than you can shake a stick at. He keeps the band in beat, or alot of time off beat (using odd time sigs) alot of times.

I actually just got back from the symphony X and queensryche show in NYC. Tate is still my favorite singer, but there is still no band like dream theater.

And Pertucci is NOT the best musician in the band. Rudess is, he went to Juliard when he was 8 years old. I recentley saw them live at MSG, and he did eruption on the keyboard, and then he did such and amazing solo, that even the DT fans dropped there jaws. Everyoner was literally bowing to him, and the claps were louder than any show ive been too.

There just a great band.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 8
sambob
sambob
04/25/2004 4:02 pm
Portnoy changes more time signatures in one minute than you can shake a stick at.

No, the ENTIRE BAND changes time signatures.

And Rhudess is an excellent keyboard player, but he's by no means the best.

-edit- Oh, I misread that. You didn't say he's the best.
# 9
SPL
SPL
04/25/2004 4:16 pm
I love seeing them play live, but their albums actually don't end up in my cd player all that much.
# 10
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/26/2004 3:29 pm
Is Train of Thought their latest album? I bought it yesterday. It was a relief to hear it having also just bought and listened to the first five tracks of the latest Satriani album "Is there love in space" which seemed like a rehash of previous lead lines with chugging dumb rock power chords. Why doesn't satch play weird time signatures? Hi phrasing's gone a bit bland. I think he's painted himself into a corner.
I loved Train of Thought; it's one of their heaviest albums and I had worried they might sell out and quit playing mad instrumental music No fear! . The instrumental track sounds a bit like Mettalica's Orion only it's cleverer (as you'd expect).
I have heard that a band called Spock's Beard are rather like DT only "much cooler" apparently... must hear those guys!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 11
gusjDT
gusjDT
04/26/2004 7:31 pm
Well! I'm glad I got a thread going. Btw, Portnoy is crazy, he is just.. mad.. I love his drumming skills. Like the opening in Honor Thy Father, and not just that, he's shown off his skill in other projects. He is once again, mad. Someone mentioned that Petrucci's solos are getting boring. That is true in some way, the only solo i've enjoyed is the solo from As I Am, Under A Glass Moon, The Glass Prison, Endless Sacrifice, Learning To Live, and Peruvian Skies. That's all my opinion of course.. :D Jordan Rudess... **** man, that guy rocks, he has such an ability with the keyboard/piano.. He can take out all these crazy solos and really cool riffs like in Learning To Live, P2 and in Wait For Sleep. John Myung, we always enjoy watching a chinese dude playing on a 6 string bass w/ the fret board as wide as my keyboard, lol! He can do these cool things, for example in Metropolis P1, the really fast fingering, I can't do that.. i hate it.. it's tough for me to move my fingers so fast, especially when the strings are really thick. :( James LaBrie, in my opinion i like his singing, he has a powerful voice, and can hit real high notes and stick to it, he's good, but not awesome. Anyways, that's my long and boring review of one of my favorite bands.

PS I noticed that the instrumental in Train Of Thought was something like Orion, only better! :D
# 12
sambob
sambob
04/26/2004 8:12 pm
I had worried they might sell out and quit playing mad instrumental music

No, they just sold out and play lame numetal Move over Disturbed!

and can hit real high notes

Hmm, I've seen Dream Theater live three times now.. and I must say that LaBrie can NOT hit the high notes. Or even some of the notes that ARE in his range. He has a nice voice, but the kinds of mistakes I've heard him make live.. just amateur. Its one thing I've never understood really. They have such a good sound.. but LaBrie misses notes all the time.
# 13
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
04/26/2004 10:25 pm
Yeah, at the times i've seen DT only once Labrie was off. But the music was always great. It's not very often though you find a singer ( a good singer ) that can actually do his stuff live. Geoff Tate back in his day was amazing. For his old age he is still pretty good. I think LaBrie pulls off alot. Symphony X also is greta live, Russel Allen is alkos a great singer.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 14
eltocaor
eltocaor
04/26/2004 11:16 pm
You want my opinion;This band really sucks despite there are good guitarists...just too soft.lol
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.