View post (Europe Folk)

View thread

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/23/2004 5:37 am
as much as i hate smoking, i think public smoking bans are not so great.
lets take austria for example - we had that discussion about public smoking bans in a political tv-duell. well - the next day i talked to some gastronomers and they all said that it would be a catastrophy. alot of peeps are goin out at night into all sorts of pubs and restaurants, chilling with a cold beer and a cigarette. ALOT of smokers will rather stay at home having a beer and a smoke infront of their TV than spending a few hours in a pub without having the possibility to inhale their holy smoke. thus gastronomy will seriously suffer and alot of the smaller pubs and restaurants will close down. just go figure - more than 60% of the peeps hanging out at night are smokers!
plus tobacco industry is a very vital part of our economy sice it earns us alot of taxes.

another example - we always were part of the formula one circus since we have the A1-ring over here where every year part of the grand prix was done. then our government decided that we are not allowed to advertise for the tobaccoindustry in public anymore. well - now we had to shut down the A1-ring since alot of race cars have tobacco ads on them. no grand prix in austria anymore thus no income from the grand prix events. cool huh?

on the one hand we want to ban smokers, but on the other hand this branch of industry is very important for economy. take that into consideration.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]