Europe Folk

basics
basics
04/22/2004 4:22 am
You guys have to deal with smoking bans over there? I heard you don't and people are cool with that and the governments stay out of peoples decisions to smoke.

I'm actually ok with the public smoking ban as smoking obviously kills non-smokers. When the government tries to filter private use of it out of our society however, by means of taxes and brainwashing commercials, that's where I get annoyed. I quit a year ago because I couldn't afford [soon to be] $9cdn packs but I'd start smoking again in a second because I identify with it. Are these things an issue over there?
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/22/2004 5:51 am
no - we actually can smoke whereever we like (except for places where it says "no smoking" like some restaurants or so). other than that we can smoke, drink and do other silly things in public without having our gouvernment labeling us as a criminals for doing so.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Death55
Death55
04/22/2004 10:27 am
I think they might be banning smoking in public places soon ! At the moment people smoke where they want. People even seem to smoke in no smoking areas which i think is quite annoying considering i have to put up with my mums smoke all the time at home as well.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/22/2004 4:31 pm
Man I think smokers are amoung the most selfish people on earth... what other activity is so mindless and depremental to others?
Thats my 2 cents anyway.
Things are changing though, where you could before, you can now walk into most pubs and places and not see a smoker in sight. Its kinda uncool I guess :)
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/22/2004 5:50 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseMan I think smokers are amoung the most selfish people on earth... what other activity is so mindless and depremental to others?
Thats my 2 cents anyway.
Things are changing though, where you could before, you can now walk into most pubs and places and not see a smoker in sight. Its kinda uncool I guess :)

Dude, get lost!

J/K.... hey, I thought you were ditching this place for good! What, did you get dumped again?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5
guitarmanxxxx
guitarmanxxxx
04/22/2004 8:05 pm
I must be selfish , I Love to smoke , [ My Weed Man ] ;) ...............Mark
guitarmanxxxx
# 6
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/22/2004 9:46 pm
I noticed its been revamped again, looks cool. Me n tha girl are still together!!
# 7
Death55
Death55
04/22/2004 10:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseMan I think smokers are amoung the most selfish people on earth... what other activity is so mindless and depremental to others?

That was just what my friend was saying today. He always goes on about about how smokers are selfish and dont care that other people have to breathe in their smoke. I do get annoyed sometimes when i'm walking up a hill and someone infront starts smoking. My friend doesnt even like bonfire smoke and gets very angry about that too !
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 8
SPL
SPL
04/22/2004 11:17 pm
Originally Posted by: basicsI'd start smoking again in a second because I identify with it.

How does one "identify" with smoking?

In Europe, as far as I know, there's no such thing as smoking bans(except for public buildings). They have some serious catching up to do.
I'm all for smoking bans. I don't want that nasty stuff around me. It is the most disgusting and useless habit ever invented.
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/23/2004 2:29 am
I find that, in general, smokers have less respect for others than non-smokers. For example, many smokers think nothing of tossing ashes/butts/wrappers/packages on the ground. It is a real pet peeve of mine to be driving along and some idiot just tosses a smouldering cigarette out the window. Then there's the 2nd hand smoke; don't even get me started on that...
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 10
basics
basics
04/23/2004 4:57 am
No problem here with not smoking when non-smokers are around. I think the public smoking ban is GREAT, get you kids with a peeve about it to shut the hell up.

My beef is with the government finanancially and subconciously wiping cigarettes out of society. If meat all of a sudden was jacked up in price, advised against in commercials, banned in resturants etc. we'd see two kinds of people. Those who used to eat meat, and those who can't see through things like this who are now telling everybody that meat isn't socially acceptable anymore, they don't like it etc. ....The meat eaters would eventually stop eating meat. The end.

The smoking ban solved the death problem, we smoke alone. All I wanted to do is smoke, is it not unconstitutional that I'm not allowed to anymore. Privately.

How does anyone identify with anything, SPL.
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/23/2004 5:37 am
as much as i hate smoking, i think public smoking bans are not so great.
lets take austria for example - we had that discussion about public smoking bans in a political tv-duell. well - the next day i talked to some gastronomers and they all said that it would be a catastrophy. alot of peeps are goin out at night into all sorts of pubs and restaurants, chilling with a cold beer and a cigarette. ALOT of smokers will rather stay at home having a beer and a smoke infront of their TV than spending a few hours in a pub without having the possibility to inhale their holy smoke. thus gastronomy will seriously suffer and alot of the smaller pubs and restaurants will close down. just go figure - more than 60% of the peeps hanging out at night are smokers!
plus tobacco industry is a very vital part of our economy sice it earns us alot of taxes.

another example - we always were part of the formula one circus since we have the A1-ring over here where every year part of the grand prix was done. then our government decided that we are not allowed to advertise for the tobaccoindustry in public anymore. well - now we had to shut down the A1-ring since alot of race cars have tobacco ads on them. no grand prix in austria anymore thus no income from the grand prix events. cool huh?

on the one hand we want to ban smokers, but on the other hand this branch of industry is very important for economy. take that into consideration.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 12
SPL
SPL
04/23/2004 5:45 am
basics, I'm sorry, but that was just a horrible analogy that didn't make any sense. ;)
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/23/2004 5:45 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanI find that, in general, smokers have less respect for others than non-smokers... It is a real pet peeve of mine to be driving along and some idiot just tosses a smouldering cigarette out the window...
I think every bonehead who does that should ride a motorcycle on a busy highway and have a cigarette butt land in his/her lap!

Yeah, I take it personally when smokers insist that they have the right to foul the air in public places. My entertainment choices often depend on whether I think a particular band is worth coming home with my clothes, hair and skin smelling like a dirty ashtray!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/23/2004 5:56 am
Originally Posted by: Azraelas much as i hate smoking, i think public smoking bans are not so great.
lets take austria for example - we had that discussion about public smoking bans in a political tv-duell. well - the next day i talked to some gastronomers and they all said that it would be a catastrophy. alot of peeps are goin out at night into all sorts of pubs and restaurants, chilling with a cold beer and a cigarette. ALOT of smokers will rather stay at home having a beer and a smoke infront of their TV than spending a few hours in a pub without having the possibility to inhale their holy smoke. thus gastronomy will seriously suffer and alot of the smaller pubs and restaurants will close down. just go figure - more than 60% of the peeps hanging out at night are smokers!
plus tobacco industry is a very vital part of our economy sice it earns us alot of taxes. ...
Look around!

The state of California has had a total ban on public smoking for years now, and it works. Since it was imposed on every place at the same time, there was no problem with smokers moving to different venues. There was no point in abandoning a restaurant in favour of the local pub, for instance.

In Ottawa, Ontario, there is a public smoking ban, and business has actually increased at the pubs and restaurants. There was a lot of worry that customers would all go across the river to Hull, Quebec, but it didn't happen.

Here in Calgary, the local council didn't have the balls to ban smoking everywhere, so now it's OK in some places, and banned in others. That's exactly the wrong approach, because it does not have all businesses operating under the same rules.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/23/2004 6:11 am
you have to know - we are different..very different

# 16
Inisfail
Inisfail
04/23/2004 10:33 am
In sweden all pubs and restaurants and such will after next year I think be non-smoking areas. I think it's great (cause I don't smoke and my long hair smells like fu*king chimney the next morning) and to all those smokers around the country my only advice is to do like me, drink more beer. And more, and more.. Haha, folkbärs ska're va!
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 17
basics
basics
04/23/2004 1:15 pm
Originally Posted by: SPLbasics, I'm sorry, but that was just a horrible analogy that didn't make any sense. ;)

:D Ok... how about: They say jump, you say how high.
# 18
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/23/2004 10:53 pm
[QUOTE=basics] If meat all of a sudden was jacked up in price,... ....The meat eaters would eventually stop eating meat. The end.
QUOTE]

Hmm.. unless meat kills the eaters, and also the surrounding people then you dont have a point!

Basically, smoking is immature and irrational. How many people suddenly take up smoking at the age of 40? or 30? or even 20? Not many because by that time they no better!
When I see people smoking I instantly become dissattracted to them, Im less likely to initiate a conversation for example, and its not my problem, its theres because lots of people like me are the same!! :mad:
# 19
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
04/23/2004 11:30 pm
I personally dont agree on smoking only because it makes it hard for me breath sometimes and i get dizzy...dont know why, I just do...I could care less if people smoke in a bar or their own private house..that doesnt bother me
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.