Burnout / Taking a Break

TheDirt
TheDirt
04/15/2004 11:42 pm
I recently hit a technical and creative plateau in my playing that really discouraged me. I tried upping my practicing, but that didn't help. I was playing at least an hour a day, but to no avail. Reading up on burnout, I discovered that when you have trouble like this, sometimes it's best to take a break from playing. At first, I scoffed at this... consistency is key, I thought. Well, after this plateau, I broke down and didn't play for just over a week. I played again today for the first time in a while, and I'm playing more relaxed and with a renewed vigor. Soemtimes it's best to sit back, play some tennis or pool or something, and let your subconscious tackle the problem for a bit. I don't have much of a question, I just wanted to let you know that taking a break helped me, and I'd suggest it occasionally, especially when you're totally stumped by something.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 1
basics
basics
04/16/2004 1:31 am
You can take that and relate it to a lot of things. Even if you love your job and are fairly decent at it, you still have to take vacations every now and again to get revitalized, refocused etc.

Not enough to let your talent/muscles slip, just enough to get back in the ring and knock the shyte out of what ever it is you do.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.