turnarounds

agtierney
agtierney
04/12/2004 2:15 am
i need help understanding turnarounds. i looked at the things on the site, but all they did was show me how to play a couple. i wanna start incorporating turnarounds and other blues styles into my playing.
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
04/13/2004 2:44 am
What is it about turnaround that you need help in understanding? How to use them? How to create them? I'd be glad to help but I'm not sure what it is you want you know.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
agtierney
agtierney
04/13/2004 8:29 pm
i was playin a simple 12 bar blues in A a couple days ago with a friend. Hes not a big blues player and neither am i (yet). the song just didnt sound full, and it was boring with out the turnarounds.

So basicially, i want to know how to create them, and how to change them to match the key im playing in (if change is needed) when soloing.
# 3
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
04/14/2004 4:31 am
A turnaround is basically a chord sequence that gets you back to the main chord sequence of a song. They can be created with any chord sequence, but commonly the turnaround ends with the V or IV chord of the key the main chord progression is in. So if the main chord progression is in the key of A, the turnaround will end with either an E7 or Dmaj or Dmin chord.

Translating a chord sequence to another key. Say you have a sequence like A D E7 in A major, and you want to play the same sequence but in the key of E major. My way is to look at what each chord is relative to the key center (key). So in A major (key center) A is I, D is IV, and E is V. Then I think of what I-IV-V is in E major. Which is E, A, B7. make sense? It's alot easier if you look at it on the guitar because moving through keys is basically just playing the same pattern but up or down on the neck.
# 4
agtierney
agtierney
04/15/2004 12:35 am
ok...thanks much.

but can i apply what youve said up there to solos?
# 5
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
04/22/2004 12:28 am
Originally Posted by: agtierneyok...thanks much.

but can i apply what youve said up there to solos?

Yes it's the same. It's called "transposing". You can take a song in E major and play it in Eb major instead. Many bands do so, especially if the singer has trouble singing in a particular key. But as you try this, I recommend you listen to how the flavor of the song changes if your change the original key. Eb major is a different flavor of sound than E major. The progression of the song is the same but the texture changes. Paying attention to this quality will help you better find the right key for a song you are writting.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.