I can't plug my guitar into Dell laptop!

DiamondsR4ever
DiamondsR4ever
04/10/2004 11:19 pm
Hi,

I don't have the amp, so the alternative solution is plugging my guitar into the mic hole of my old IBM laptop windows 98; using the computer external speakers, . Now I have the DEll 8500 laptop windows xp and I couldn't play my guitar via the mic hole. I found out that it has no mic control panel in the speaker volume properties of the DEll computer. please help me on this!

Cheers,

DiamondsR4ever.
# 1
spanky10940
spanky10940
04/14/2004 5:34 pm
diamonds -

if you don't have an amp, how do you expect to get any signal into the computer???? You'll need to get yourself either a POD or the Korg PX-4... both will work for recording (I think the pod is better, funny, I own the PX-4 and love it!)

or, get an amp and use the onboard mic... the recording isin't that great but it works.
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 2
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
04/28/2004 9:39 am
You probably have USB on your laptop, so you will need an USB Audio Interface, which you should stick into your USB, and conect your guitar to it. Or get a fx processor with USB conection, such as GNX4
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/28/2004 10:40 am
emagicĀ“s Multichannel Interface A62 m will do the job

http://www.emagic.de/products/hw/A62m/index.php?lang=EN

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
05/02/2004 2:10 pm
Originally Posted by: AzraelemagicĀ“s Multichannel Interface A62 m will do the job

http://www.emagic.de/products/hw/A62m/index.php?lang=EN

Ok, Im having a problem exactly with this model of audio interface. When I record something with it it is either off-beat or at some other part of the track it goes faster than the beat. I am using it with Cubase SX. Does someone have any idea how could I fix this?
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 5
spanky10940
spanky10940
05/05/2004 5:33 pm
start simply... make sure you don't have garbage software on your pc (spyware, etc...)
next, check the device in device manager... make sure you have the latest drivers.. also, make sure the bios on the pc is updated as well...

lastly, check the pc resources... make sure you're not running things that aren't necessary... what could be happening is that the more you record, more is going into memory before it can be written, if you have too much stuff loaded, it will lag....
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 6
DiamondsR4ever
DiamondsR4ever
05/05/2004 10:41 pm
Hi guys,

THis is from Diamond. Yes I have successfully did it. I found the way to change my pc registry to create a mic slider in Dell laptop. I have a 100 watt 5.1 pc speaker which plugs into the speaker hole and the mic hole is for my guitar, it sounds fantasticly rich and loud, I have to say, I like it better than the amp I tried out at the shop, and it's fun and free.

DiamondR4ever.
# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/06/2004 3:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Slow DiverOk, Im having a problem exactly with this model of audio interface. When I record something with it it is either off-beat or at some other part of the track it goes faster than the beat. I am using it with Cubase SX. Does someone have any idea how could I fix this?

i actually haven't had any problems with that thing - but i use EmagicĀ“s Logic Audio - so i dont know what problems there may or may not be when using cubase - but you can always contact emagic themselves!

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/08/2004 10:03 am
you might want to be careful plugging a guitar into a mic socket as mic input (low Z) has a different impedance to guitar out put (hi Z). This means you are overloading your input and getting a clean sound will be difficult.
As for USB interfaces, I haven't tried the one Azrael mentioned however I have used a Line 6 Guitar port and that is good.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.