Bassdiscussion II: Lack of bassplayers

Inisfail
Inisfail
04/05/2004 3:20 pm
Hey!

Is this a common problem? At least where I live, 7-8 of 10 musicians seems to be guitarists, and perhaps 0.1 are bassplayers. Has anyone of you thought of skip the guitar and go 100% for bass?
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 1
sambob
sambob
04/05/2004 4:30 pm
Well, I play MOSTLY guitar.

But I play bass as well, in fact I'd like to think that I play about as well as I play guitar. I've put just as much time, effort, and money into my bass playing. Of course, I have just one bass that I play regularly (its a nice one though), a 5 string fretless Bunny Brunel model from Carvin.

But that being said.. I also have spent just as much time on my keyboard playing.

I don't get to play either of them as much in bands just because there isn't as much of a demand. Well, theres a demand for say.. basses in metal bands, or in punk bands.. but thats boring.

If there was a sudden revival of fusion say, a the high school level, I'm sure the bass would be a little more popular :P

But that will never happen.

Sames true of keyboards too though, I love playing.. but theres absolutely no demand for them. If I want to play them in a band, I either start my own (doing that right now), or play with guys twice my age (also doing that).
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/05/2004 5:07 pm
I also play bass, but not in a band. I've got my twin brother for that. :)
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/05/2004 9:17 pm
Originally posted by sambob

If there was a sudden revival of fusion say, a the high school level, I'm sure the bass would be a little more popular :P

But that will never happen.

Yes it will!!! Fusion is alive and making a come back!!!! Just you wait...... Youth's minds will be corrupted with actual musical ideas!!!!

Muwahahahhahaa!!
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 4
sambob
sambob
04/05/2004 9:48 pm
Well, actually, what REALLY gets me.

Is I talk to plenty of people in South America, who are very young, 13, 14, 15 years old.

And they play in fusion bands.
# 5
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/05/2004 10:11 pm
I'm 14 - and I'm totally into fusion.... but theres no chance of forming that with anyone 'round here my age.....

heck! I can't even form a punk band with the kids we got here... nobody plays anything.... evrybodys into rap....
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 6
sambob
sambob
04/05/2004 10:49 pm
It'll be more convenient once you get out of school, and can get into bars easier ;)
# 7
TheWizard
TheWizard
04/05/2004 11:06 pm
yeah theres about 5 guitarist for every bassist in my school

our bands origonal line up was two lead guitarists, but he eventually gave it up and moved to bass, but he is still a guitarist in his mind and constantly feels the need to play guitar in front of people

I always try to explain to him that a good bass player will go much farther in the music business (since they are so much rarer) than a mediocre, or even a good guitarist (he's nothing special) and he's basically a failure at everything else in life so I assume he will try and do something in music
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/06/2004 3:19 am
There's a jam/open mic every Sunday down at the local. Players range in age from late teens to early fifties (who, me?). People just sit in on whatever needs doin', including tabla drums. I play as much bass as six-string, and there's no shortage of singers, harmonicats or drummers. :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
04/06/2004 4:39 am
I think it has a lot to do with people not being familiar with good bassists.

They can turn on the radio and here the chugging nu-metal powerchords, but can't hear the bass. So people grab the guitar instead.

If people were aware of the good musicians that were out there, there'd be a lot more bass players, drummers....so on and so on.

Guitar is just more "mainstream."
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 10
Inisfail
Inisfail
04/14/2004 8:51 am
Yeah, I agree pantallica. You want to play what you can hear, and seriously, if you ever see a rock band, live or on TV, mostly the cameras will be pointed at the singer and the guitarist, and by some reason, the guitaist also is the singer, which makes him the total front guy! And if you see that of course you want to be like him!

Where is Gene Simmons? Glenn Hughes? Bassplayers with attitude and carisma. I think we need them again..

Anyway, if anyone wants to hear a CRAZY bassplayer, listen to Magnus Rosén. Best player in the world? Allthough noone should rank a musiscian, I certanly think he is AWESOME!

See you around
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/15/2004 3:53 am
I suspect that some of you have missed the point I tried to make in my last post post. The Top 40 and MTV have nothing to do with what is [u]really[/u] happening musically! Go to the open-mic jams at your local pubs and university halls. The [u]real[/u] music is coming to the surface at venues like these.
[size=8] PHUCK "THE BIZ"!![/size]

If your ultimate goal is to be vital, real, and influencial, you [u]must[/u] go your own way, and let those who wish to follow, do so. The rest is/are unimportant/meaningless to your vision. If you crave the validation granted by others, you will receive this at the cost of compromising the purity of your own vision. This is not necessarily a bad thing - just something you should be aware of.

As for the lack of bassists - look around! Damn near [u]every[/u] guitar player I have ever met can "do a thing or two" on bass. And the good guitar players tend to be good on bass, too. Don't let the "mainstream" perception cloud your reality. A talented musician will find a way to vent expression with [u]any[/u] musical instrument.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
scarecrow
scarecrow
04/15/2004 2:13 pm
well, here's a weird one for you..... i have been playing bass in various bands now for 4-5 years, although i've been playing about 10. my basses stay in the studio, and my guitars stay at home. i have 3 at each location. i practice guitar every night at home, yet for some reason when i come into the studio after practicing a new technique on guitar, i never have a problem switching it over to slap or putting some sort of grind/groove to it. it's the darndest thing, you'd think my percussive playing abilities on the bass would lack, but i havent had much problems yet. am i the only one around here this happens to? wierdest thing of all, my friends think im an alright guitarist, but they love my ability on the bass, they say i attack it like a guitarist, but groove like a bass player.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.