what is the basic blues effect set up?
Anyone here knows the effects used by Stevie? thanks
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/04/2004 5:06 am
I started to reply, then did a quick search and found someone had already done the work for me.

Click here
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
04/05/2004 12:38 pm
Nice research! However understanding that normal people have budgets i would have to say...u need a fender with over wound pickups or the texas speical pickups with extra extra heavy gauge strings and a fender vibro king as the amp.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/05/2004 1:32 pm
Yeah, I guess that's the more practical answer, rather than trying to buy every single piece of equipment SRV used.

One pedal that comes up a lot is the Ibanez TubeScreamer. I believe he used the TS-808, but there is a TS-9 which is basicallt the same pedal. The new ones have a different chip than the original, which some say affects tone. The original chip is a JRC3553 or something like that, and a new one can be modified (even by yourself) to use that chip instead. I found articles galore a couple of months back when I had bought a TS-9 and wanted reviews of it.

Basically, the TS is a clean boost type of pedal, but it can be tuned to introduce some pure-sounding dirt. The pedal is not too expensive. I thought it was OK, but it basically sounded the same as my amp's distortion channel with the gain down low, and I wasn't trying to achieve someone else's tone, so I returned the pedal.

[/sarcasm]
# 4
spanky10940
spanky10940
04/09/2004 8:50 pm
yeah - you can come close but you also have to understand a few things about the way he played...

1. his hands were VERY strong and he strangled that neck every time he played... if you can catch a video of him playing you'll see the bends he gets and he used heavy strings.

2. Stevie was constantly playing with his setups and equipment, tweaking them and making changes. So even if you get the same amp and guitar setup you'd still be missing a little something to replicate the sound.

3. Every guitar player sounds unique due to their skill, background, hand strength, angle of attack with or without a pick and then there's the whole mindset deal when playing.... I have a 50mb video of SRV doing Crossfire and he just gets lost in his playing.

best advice, if you have the cash, go get what he had, if you don't get what comes close. Most importantly, try to emulate him don't copy or you'll be just that (not that it's a bad thing) but think of it this way... do you want someone to say that you sound like him or do you want them to say that another guitar player sounds like you do!
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 5
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
04/11/2004 10:54 pm
SRV gauge was so heavy that he had to glue the cracks of his finger nails and hands so that they would nt keep ripping with the bends.
# 6
basics
basics
04/12/2004 4:10 am
I gotta call that a myth until otherwise convinced by means of solid proof.
# 7
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
04/12/2004 5:30 am
Originally posted by basics
I gotta call that a myth until otherwise convinced by means of solid proof.

DAn Elweines guide to guitar repair had it in there. Plus super glue is a well coagulant if you wanna stop bleeding in minor cuts fast. Lotsa people use it if u have a purpose to do it.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/12/2004 5:58 am
While you're at it, pull out the first 12AX7A (7025) preamp tube and replace it with a 5751. You get a little less gain, and a little more headroom before distorting. That was part of his smooth sound.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/12/2004 1:30 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
While you're at it, pull out the first 12AX7A (7025) preamp tube and replace it with a 5751.

But let the superglue dry off first...

[/sarcasm]
# 10
spanky10940
spanky10940
04/12/2004 1:35 pm
I have to say that when I read it in one article I kinda thought that it was a little exaggerated.. but then I read one about Doyle Bramhall and he said the same of Stevie... then I read one on BB King and he had something to say about that too...

He would get deep ruts and cuts in his finger tips from the string gauge and his hands being as strong as they were. In the Bramhall interview he said something to the effect of him putting something in with the glue so he could play the next night... I wanna say sawdust but I'm not sure... but the glue thing is real.
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 11
joe scalene
joe scalene
04/12/2004 1:48 pm
I really want to play like srv . its not important to have the effects he uses but the skilld he achieve. is anyone who have some exercises or srv pls do send me some tabs i want to have strong fings.. thanks
# 12
joe scalene
joe scalene
04/12/2004 1:53 pm
the difference with a ts 808 and 9 is only a counple of capacitors and resistors. i saw i think only 2 parts. at the end of the line i think just increase some values of your caps and resistor and presto an 808 hehehe
# 13
Rob_H
Rob_H
09/01/2004 3:47 pm
In a recent mag there was a interview with some fender custom shop luthiers (guitar builders) who actually got permission by Jimmie Vaughan (stevie rays vaughans brother) to remove his guitar from its vault, take it to pieces, take photo's then rebuild it in order to get get the exact details so they could make 100 perfect replica's of his famous number 1 guitar (these are not the signature model you can buy in the shops there is only 100 being made, 6 of which are coming to the uk & all 100 were pre-sold before the luthiers began working on them)

The Mag gives details of all his gear & his guitar setup. so here it all is for you's who want to emulate his sound.

guitars: strats, martin acoustic & a national

amps: fender super reverb, vibroverb, twin reverb; dumble

effects: tube screamer, vox wah, fuzz face & tycobrahe octavia

other comments: he used heavy gauge strings 0.13 to 0.15 (top E), he strung his guitar with very high action, he had a tendancy to snap a lot of strings so he started to strip a piece of wire and use the plastic shielding and loop that over the string and send it through the block so that it rested on top of one of the arcs on the bridge the mag says this wouldnt really kill the tone of the string (it may have coloured his tone slightly though so you may want to try this when emulating his sound) but it would help prevent friction building up and breaking the string, his pickups were stock 63's but has some shielding tape around them to lower the inductance of the pickup & all control pots were standard of the era & finally the three-way switch was replaced with a five-way switch.
# 14
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
09/01/2004 9:38 pm
Quote:
"joe scalene:
I really want to play like srv . its not important to have the effects he uses but the skilld he achieve. is anyone who have some exercises or srv pls do send me some tabs i want to have strong fings.. thanks"

if ya wanna get as strong fingers as srv then the only way to do that is to play with heavier string gauges. ignore those nasty little things you can buy from music shops that "strengthan" your fingers (kinda a like little hand grips that you can push down with individual fingers). theres no point as you could be practicin play a heavier gauge insead
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 15
spanky10940
spanky10940
09/01/2004 9:50 pm
to have his or anyones skill level is all in what they put into it.

Stevie was playing all the time. There are stories of him getting off the stage, getting on the tour bus and jammin some more. The moral of the story?

Practice, practice, practice... when you're done? nope - you're not done... go back to your room and practice!!!!

You'll feel it when things are becoming 'yours' so to speak. You'll have a sound or things that you can do without thinking about it. That's how he did everything, with an ease and a grace that was easy as talking for you and I. The only way to get that way is ___________ (yep the P word) :D

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/01/2004 9:56 pm
Originally Posted by: Jimmi431if ya wanna get as strong fingers as srv then the only way to do that is to play with heavier string gauges. ignore those nasty little things you can buy from music shops that "strengthan" your fingers (kinda a like little hand grips that you can push down with individual fingers). theres no point as you could be practicin play a heavier gauge insead
[font=trebuchet ms]I have to disagree with that. I sprained my left hand badly last year, and "those nasty little things" were the key to my rehab.

I was pulling an old window shut with my left hand. It stopped dead, before I was expecting it to. That basically ruined everything between my fingertips and my elbow. :eek:

I had to build up my strength from Zero, and I haven't got all the way back yet. But if I had tried to jump back in where I left off, I wouldn't be playing at all, now.

If you jump into playing with heavy strings before you have enough hand strength to play them properly, you will trash your technique, and possibly your hands.

By all means, get one of "those nasty little things" and spend every spare minute playing with it. Get a light one. The key is repetition, not brute strength. The strength comes on it's own. And squeeze it with your fret hand positioned as if your were holding your guitar. It's important to exercise the right muscles in the right positions.

Good luck![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
09/02/2004 4:59 pm
hahha you really didn't like the comment about the "nast little things"did ya?? each to his own i guess, just when i moved to playing heavier gauge strings i found that just playin on it was practice enough, an i felt i would be wastin my money on somethin like that as i'd seen mates playin with them an they didn't seem to help them in any way. however each to his/her own i guess. wow that must have been very very annoyin not bein able to play. thats another thing i noticed when they were usin them "nasty little things" ( yup tis their new name!) they were just squashin it flat in what ever way they could so i saw it as pointless as they weren't exercisin the right muscles in any way. so if you do get one make sure you use it right otherwise my point will be proven an it'll be a waste of time but if ya use it right an prove me wrong then woohoo. but i'd personally go for just increasing string gauge everso often, but don't just jump from really light to dead heavy as it will really piss you off when tryin to play.
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 18
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/02/2004 7:05 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]The reason they have individual buttons for each finger is to allow you to exercise each finger separately. I challenge anyone who has not tried it before to compress the spring under their pinky without moving the other fingers! It's also very important to do these exercises while your fret hand is held palm up, with the elbow bent, just as you would position your arm while playing. The musles are used differently, depending on how your arm is positioned, so you get it all wrong unless your arm is in the same place it would be if you were actually playing.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 19
joe scalene
joe scalene
09/03/2004 12:33 am
I practise very often. and ther was a time that I pushed myself 2 hard that my left finger were paralized. I can barely move them. so painfull. :(

what do you mean by those little nasty things. The one with springs?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.