blues scale

joe scalene
joe scalene
03/24/2004 5:09 am
can the blues scale be applied to any kind of music?
if not what particular one?
can someone explain to me the blues ! scale a little info about that. I have been memorizing this scale for weeks now...
# 1
basics
basics
03/24/2004 12:16 pm
Blues scale is a pent. scale with that one extra note, flatened 5th. Throw in the 9th, 13th and all this, notes to slide into the main ones, forget the name of them and you've got yourself a pretty versatile scale.

Blues scale involves the flatened 5th which you can't pull out just anywhere but the scale itself is based on the pent. scale which can but used in a lot of circumstances. People will argue that there's better opions than it and to that I've got no comment because it's relative to the tune.
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/25/2004 12:46 am
The blues scale is a pretty versatile scale. So it can be used in just about any music, but in blues the "b5" can stand alone in a solo or melody. What I mean is it doesn't have to resolve, like a passing tone would. Example of the b5 as a passing tone (4-b5-5); the b5 resolves to the natural 5th. This example is common in all music, but in blues the b5 is often found unresolved. Other examples which you could mess with and try out are: Say your playing blues in A, you could play a Eb and bend it up to E natural. Common blues technique. Also it's common to play (in A again) D and bend up to Eb. The later is slightly more discordant sounding but alittle more bluesy (downish) in my opinion. The best thing to do is just practice using it over chord progressions, seeing what works and what doesn't.

The blues scale is also common in Rock and Country music. The blues sound can be traced back to the early songs of the slaves who were brought to America. It's even heard in some early classical music.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
joe scalene
joe scalene
03/25/2004 1:18 am
can u give me some defintion of terms. i cant understand that b5 passing tone. im just a starter never had formal lesson about guitar so dont know the terms. I hope u can help me with that. thanks man...
# 4
basics
basics
03/25/2004 4:02 am
I think a passing tone is playing a note not ordinarily found in a scale to move to one that is, for color. Or no, it could be a note in a scale that wouldn't sound decent holding for any length of time. Like, not a strong ... i forget all the lingo ... like root, 3rd, 5th, 7th. triad stuff (which means root, 3rd and 5th i think, the basis of a lot of chords). What you gotta do is go buy yourself a basic theory book and learn this crap. suck, but gotta be done.

here's a blues scale:

|-------------------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------8---10
|--------------7----8---9---
|---7---10
|
|

the 8 on the G string (E flat) is the flatened 5 and is used for color. you'll understand all this when you get down some basic theory.
# 5
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/25/2004 4:02 pm
A passing tone is a note or notes placed in between two notes of a triad. So if you were playing over a G major chord and you played this.

e---------------
b--12-14-15-
g---------------
d---------------
a---------------
e---------------

'14' is the passing tone between the notes B and D of the G major chord. '14' is also the b5 over a G major chord. In the above example, this note is a passing tone and is commonly found in rock/country soloing. In Blues, '14' might be the only note played when G major is played in the harmony. Then it is often bent up a semi-tone (to D) to make it consonant.

There are several versions of passing tones. The quote Passing tone unquote is the linear version as seen above. There are other where you go up and then down to the note of a triad. It would be good to look into them, it will give you some ideas.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 6
joe scalene
joe scalene
03/26/2004 1:12 am
Iam totally confuse. i think i better buya theory book like you said...
# 7
basics
basics
03/26/2004 2:36 am
Yea man, no shame in that. I'd recommend a good one but I don't know any.
# 8
joe scalene
joe scalene
03/26/2004 9:44 am
the hard part is you can bearly find books about guitar i my place how much more a theory for blues...
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.