Trying to make a music webpage,need a bit of help

Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
03/18/2004 11:08 pm
Im trying to setup a website to keep my resources on, music theory,any tabs, technique. Kinda like this site, but not for popularity, just so me and friends can share ideas and soundfiles.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good place to look for a few things.

1. I would like to setup a forum, but with subsections, so it could go from a theory section into subsections like Classical, Jazz, Metal, then from there go to Arpeggio's, Scales, Modes etc.

2. I need to store sound files on the site so I need to find a site that offers good hosting services as cheap as possible, im not up-to-date on these things, so any help would be appreciated.

Like I said, not attempting some great guitar based site to rival all the hundreds of others.... just somewhere I can keep some resources.

Thanks guys,

- J
# 1
sambob
sambob
03/19/2004 2:49 am
I couldn't really recommend a specific host for you, I'm hosted by a friend of mine. I know she offers good hosting at a reasonable price, but I don't think the service is officially 'public' yet.

As for the forums... if you're willing to put out some cash, UBB is pretty nice, I used it for a while.

But, if you want something free (and open source of course), check out www.freshmeat.net and just look around, see what you find.
# 2
Marauder
Marauder
03/19/2004 6:28 pm
Depending on how many song files you are planning to have on there, you might want to look at getting your own small server. But that is only if you want the site to be BIG
# 3
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
03/20/2004 12:39 am
Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably just get a free forumn, and concentrate on spending money on a decent host. The site needs to be quite big.... I need to have seperate sound files to demonstrate techniques for friends who are learning the guitar, sweeping,shredding,legato, the usual.

I also want to keep jam tracks on it so friends from college can add lead or upload there own rhythmn tracks or licks.

For instance, a guy on my course was asking me how I "made the guitar scream" on one rehearsal. I could just add a section on pinch harmonics....

I get the feeling this is gonna end up costing me alot...

- J
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.