View post (What are you workin on???)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/14/2004 6:27 am
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman
Hey, I've been looking for a little (10 watts or so) tube amp. How much is your WeeBeastie? Are there any better alternatives? I'm starting to get a little tired of having my internal organs shift from putting my (only) 45 watt Traynor at 6 on clean :rolleyes:.
It will be awhile before I can answer either of those questions. Well, the first one, anyway - if you can find an old Ampeg G-18 transistor amp, it should cost you less than US $100 (I got mine on eBay for $60), and it sounds great!

The WeeBeastie started out as a 1-channel amp with a single-ended 6AQ5A output tube. Since these tubes are no longer in production, I will have to change over to the 6V6. It's the same tube, in a larger envelope. As I pointed out way back whenever, a small amp costs almost as much to build as a big one. Especially when everything is custom-made one-of. I expect it will come in at under $1000, but more than $500. For a 5 Watt amp. Can you spell boutique?

I'm toying with some ideas for a variable-power amp that will be more appealing in terms of dollars-per-Watt.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons