acid question

basics
basics
03/04/2004 8:52 pm
I'm using, trying to use rather, Sonic Acid to record some basic riffs and whatnot and I'm not too technically inclined. Figured I'd ask here in case any of you have some experience with it.

Basically, does Acid (Pro v.4.0) have a metronome? I've searched all over the program for one and I can't seem to find it. So what I've done is used some crappy program called FruityLoops and set a tempo using a handclap and punched it into an Acid track. That'd be all good and whatnot except there's a couple time changes in the song and goddamn FruityLoops doesn't allow for that. I would just paste another FruityLoop track with a different tempo beside the first Fruity Loop tempo track in Acid except I can't line it up correctly. So I'm stuck with no metronome. I don't want or need a drum track, I just want to record the bare basics of some original tunes in time.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Sooner rather than later because I've got all night for this and I'm sitting here frustrated like. lol.
# 1
basics
basics
03/04/2004 9:12 pm
Apparently I need some kind of plugin? What kind of lousy recording program doesn't come with a metronome?
# 2
basics
basics
03/04/2004 9:17 pm
I mean, I can set up the tempo and all, and all the time changes perfectly, and I can see the time counting up top but I need that click click click click, right? Somebody recommened powertab to record some basic stuff and its got a metronome.
# 3
basics
basics
03/04/2004 9:35 pm
I figured out that I in fact line up the fruity loop tracks, I just had to adjust the timeline indicators to a single bar. Problem solved.
# 4
nsx_swami
nsx_swami
03/04/2004 10:31 pm
lol...and I thought that I was the only person that had one sided coversations with themselves on a message board.

Is Sonic Acid a freeware program? How many tracks can you record into one song or is it basicly limitless?
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 5
basics
basics
03/05/2004 12:11 am
Man, Sonic Acid sucks ass. It's not shareware, it is pretty much limitless for tracks but it is limited in everything else. Crashed three times on me (maybe a bad version but inexcusable) and it's about par with the basic Cakewalk which doesn't say much. I'm sick of it, and trying to record some decent sounds with it. I seriously tried to do something pretty but it turned out to be uglier than sin. I'm going to post my lousy accomplishment as soon as I can figure out how to put it on a site.
# 6
basics
basics
03/05/2004 1:28 pm
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/basicsmusic.htm

It's called Spanish Crap. I can't even listen to it anymore. I mean, you know when you have the greatest tune in your head and it's really amazing? Usually it turns out alright once the band gets into it, but this home recording stuff just makes it so crappy. I guess that's why they have studio technicians who know what they're doing. If you can get through the hand clap metronome (apparently each track I did all the previous ones were recorded onto it as well as the new stuff so I couldn't get rid of it), the horrible sounding distorted guitar - the pedal I have sucks horrible something through headphones and recording - and the riff I couldn't pull for some reason at the end, probably because I was so braindead after trying to get this thing to work after 6 hours... then maybe its a decent tune. Although, I'll bet now that I know how to work it if I try to record it again it'll be one hell of a lot better. Hopefully.
# 7
basics
basics
03/05/2004 5:48 pm
I think it mainly needs a drum track. Half-time drum pattern to underlay the last part, the riff based main section of the tune. How can you present the feel of a tune without a drum beat?
# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/05/2004 11:55 pm
I feel ya dude. I had a hell of a time figuring out how to use recording programs. I've been using acid pro for over a year now and like anything, if you stick with it, it gets easier. Last summer I recorded a skit I completely made up by myself involving Jimi Hendrix being resurrected for the purpose of coming over and wishing my buddy a happy birthday. This file had 70 some odd tracks on it so needless to say my acidpro skills improved dramatically that day. I'm sure I've never used even half of the features on the program, but I'm still pretty quick with it nonetheless. If you decide to stick with this program, I'll give ya pointers when I can. Nice tune by the way.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 9
basics
basics
03/06/2004 2:40 pm
Thanks man. I think if I was ever going to do this home recording stuff seriously I'd shoot for Logic or some other huge program where you have to read the manual like a book to even get started. I like Acid because I could kind of get started pretty quickly, although I by no means exhusted all the options and tools in it. I'll giver another shot later on when I get some decent drum loops. This drum loop crap has always puzzled me.
# 10
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/06/2004 7:46 pm
Yea, the whole drum loop thing really kills me too. I got fruity loops, but don't even know where to begin. I'm drowned in options. :)
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 11
basics
basics
03/07/2004 6:40 am
Yeah, earlier today I started searching for sound files of various drum parts, and some clips of drum beats that I may be able to loop together to sound like a continous ... beat. I hoping later on I'll find something that'll piece it all together. Fruityloops, you can't change the tempo mid-tune. Any dumbass that put that program together and didn't account for a time change has got to be not too musically inclined. I've eaten 6 grilled cheese sandwiches and a bag of popcorn since 9pm. lol.
# 12
basics
basics
03/09/2004 3:41 am
So in this continuing epic, I've decided not to find a drum pattern to match my existing tunes, but to make tunes that match my drum patterns! I figure, this isn't going to relate to much anyway, and matching drum patterns to tunes exactly how you have them in mind would take years. So here's Doorbell, my tune for the drumbeat you hear. It's a simple groove and I didn't have a bass. I should've added more but the grandma downstairs started hitting her broomstick on my floor again.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/basicsmusic.htm

It's called Doorbell. lol.
# 13
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/16/2004 5:07 am
I like to eat acid with my fruit loops;)

I've tried both programs. I think they both suck major donkey balls, to put it in the least elegant terms available for use. Cakewalk is easy to use...well, its a "piece of cake".
# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2004 2:31 pm
I use Sonar & Wavelab, with Waves gold plugins both very cool, a little expensive but still very cool !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 15
basics
basics
03/18/2004 1:21 pm
What does wavelab do for you?
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.