Q about fingerpicking

Marauder
Marauder
02/25/2004 11:40 pm
here is the thing...I HATE growing my nails long. And even if I DID like it I always bite them off when I sleep anyway (nervous habbit). My dad is a really good folk player and he uses these finger-pick things....I don't know what they are called but I'm sure you people know what I'm talking about. They are almost like little metal claws. I usually just use the pads of my fingers but I am told that that will severely reduce speed and I KNOW that it sucks for tone. So my Q is will those finger-pick things be sufficient for playing classical music?
# 1
TheWizard
TheWizard
02/26/2004 12:13 am
classical guitarists traditionaly use their fingernails

I don't bite mine so I don't have that problem, but there is this one tool that goes to my school who wears fake fingernails on his picking hand, you could try that

you should just wear gloves to bed and let your nails grow out
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 2
Karma In The South
Karma In The South
02/26/2004 12:33 am
No fingerpicks wont work for classical, the tone comes from the nylon/nail combo, it doesnt sound good otherwise.

Fake nails DESTROY your nails, as does varnish. Tske vitamin E pills to strengthen the nail.
# 3
basics
basics
02/26/2004 5:57 am
Seems so womanly man. I mean, what if you break a nail? lol. Why not learn an art that you can fight about .. without worry about breaking a nail?

All art is good are but it just seems so fragile.
# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/26/2004 6:16 am
Fingernails effect the tone more than anything else for most people, but I myself find fingerpicking way easier with nails. Just a personal preference. If you don't want to use nails or fingerpicks there's nothing wrong with it as long as it sounds good to you. I have clipped nails on my left hand and right thumb and the other four digits on my right hand are uncut.

It's pretty practical for other things outside playing the guitar as well, although I never thought it would be. It doesn't feel wierd or anything, or at least it doesn't after getting used to it. Nobody has even noticed, although if I had a gf they probably would.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.