Soloing by humming or trying?

beginner
beginner
02/29/2004 5:18 pm
I am actually also no friend of this memorizing "tricks", but with ear training it helps me. If you can recognizee a G without imagening a colour or something, fine for you, but some may need such a help.

[i] There is software out there to slow down music to aid you, so check that out. [/B]

What are they called, because I don´t know how to search for them.
# 1
basics
basics
02/29/2004 9:19 pm
You people with your ear and pitch work ever cover intervals? like minor 6s and such? minor 2nds, major 4ths? I saw a singer one time taking lessons and he could pick out the intervals by having the teacher pluck em out on the keyboard. something like identifying the intervals in tunes you know (like O Canada - those first two words is a minor 3rd maybe). Those programs deal with that sort of thing?
# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
02/29/2004 9:31 pm
Exactly that. Interval identification is a critical part of ear training.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/01/2004 2:48 am
Originally posted by beginner
What´s a minor triad? I only think of chords in F major and so on.. [/B]

A minor triad is a triad build on a perfect 5th above root, and minor 3rd above the root note. So an A minor triad has the notes A, C, E. A to E is a perfect fifth, and A to C is a minor 3rd. You should become familiar with your chords, and importantly how they are constructed.

What´s a broken chord and a chord played harmonically?

A chord played harmonically is a chord strummed. A broken chord is a chord played in arpeggio form.

Example.

(a) (b)
e---0----|------------0---------
b---1----|----------1---1-------
g---2----|--------2-------2-----
d---2----|------2-----------2---
a---0----|----0---------------0-
e--------|----------------------

a) An A minor chord played harmonically.
b) An A minor chord played in broken form, or arpeggiated.

Hopefully that clears that up.

"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/01/2004 3:23 am
Ok, if your write solo's that are too fast for humming, SLOW IT DOWN. Who said you had to hum out the idea at the exact speed at which you will be playing it on the guitar. Even when you figure out your own solo's, it's good to first play a fast passage slow so that you can clearly figure out each note. Then play it up to speed when you find the right melodic sequence. If you don't I feel sorry for you, improvising on the spot aside. If you can clearly pull out ideas in your head, you are beyond humming out the ideas to some extent. Even those who can will find humming ideas good for getting ideas out quickly before they leave. If not, there are many ways to get ideas out. Find what works for you, but this is one idea that can help some struggling with writting there own solos. Most novices in this area have the same problem, "what to play next?". I alway tell them to try humming from what they wrote before and see what naturally comes out after. I've never had it not work to some end. Of course explaining it over the internet and not being able to personally explain it is difficult.

All ear training is beneficial since a musician is only as good as his/her ear (inner and outer).
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5
beginner
beginner
03/02/2004 4:48 pm
Thanks noticing! I think now I´ve got enough information how to train my ear, and I´ll do that also with your listening techniques.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.