couple o' scales

Marauder
Marauder
02/22/2004 11:37 pm
ok.....anyone know somewhere on the web that is a good place to learn the double harmonic minor and hungarian minor scales?
how are they mosy commonly used?
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
02/23/2004 12:48 am
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/

try there
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/23/2004 2:56 am
The Falcon's trick list has the double harmonic minor in it.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/23/2004 3:40 am
The double harmonic minor is used in structuring chords in a minor key. The Hungarian minor is the harmonic minor just with a raised 4th. This tone functions as a leading tone to melodies built on the 5th of a scale. So if you had a song in A minor, and you revolved your melody around the 5th (E); the #4 (D#) would function as a normal leading tone to E. Hopefully that makes sense, but that's the standard function of that scale.
Ex.

A minor (A hungarian minor)
| Amin | E7
e:----|------------------|---
b:----|------------------|---
g:--8-|-9-8-9-8-9--------|---
d:----|-----------7-10-9-|-6-
a:----|------------------|---
e:----|------------------|---

"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 4
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/23/2004 7:49 am
Originally posted by noticingthemistake
The double harmonic minor is used in structuring chords in a minor key. [/code]

Hmmmm, what the hells that mean? If a chord gets out of line you slap it in the face w/a double harmonic minor?
# 5
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/23/2004 3:12 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
Hmmmm, what the hells that mean? If a chord gets out of line you slap it in the face w/a double harmonic minor?

Yes, cause I can. Just like my hoes, when a chord gets out of line; I smack it with a double harmonic minor. What can I say. It's my duty as pimp daddy noticing. :D

# 6
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/23/2004 4:26 pm
Cool. I like that answer. From now on "That scale is used in structuring chords within a given key" will be my official answer to any question regarding scales. -Lol-

Double Harmonic Minor?
I don't know if there is such a thing, there is a double harmonic scale.

The double harmonic scale can be used 2 ways;
1) To outline a chord progression consisting of 2 major chords whose roots are a half step apart (F to E for ex.).
2) To outline a major chord by using approach tones above (or below) each one of the chord tones. So, for instance, if the chord was Abmaj (Ab C Eb) you could play G Ab, B C, D Eb, G Ab. To hear an example of this check out Steve Howe's infamous classical acoustic piece entitled "Mood For A Day" off the Yes cd Fragile. He uses the double harmonic scale as an intro to his melody.

Exotic scales like this are not often used to compose a melody through an entire song, but are usually briefly inserted into a melodic line to add interest/contrast/ or color.
# 7
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/23/2004 4:49 pm
Here's the problem when you get into the exotic scales, you find the same scale with several different names, and then 2 totally different scales w/the same name.

Double Harmonic
LookNoHands has the Double Harmonic scale as being ;
G Ab B C Db E F G
and the Hungarian Gypsy as being
G Ab B C D Eb F# G
The Falcon on Guitar tricks has the double Harmonic as:
G Ab B C D Eb F# G

I'm not sure which one is right, I always considered G Ab B C D Eb F# G as being double harmonic.
# 8
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/23/2004 6:16 pm
Or you could just say what you said when it means the exact same thing as I said. :) Structuring chords in a key means taking a chord from a scale and implying in a minor key. Same with harmonic minor scale, where V7 substitutes v-7, III+ for III (rare), and viio(dim) for VII7.

As for the scales, I think LookNoHands made a typo. It doesn't make sense when the 5th is flat. Also the double harmonic isn't the same as the Hungarian minor (gypsy).

Double harmonic : G Ab B C D Eb F# G
Hungarian minor : G A Bb C# (enharm. Db) D Eb F# G

The hungarian minor is the harmonic minor scale with an altered color tone, #4. Or it could be seen as just a blues note. Whichever one prefers. Cool scale.
# 9
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/23/2004 7:32 pm
Originally posted by noticingthemistake
Structuring chords in a key means taking a chord from a scale and implying in a minor key.

Hmmm, i've never heard of the term Structuring Chords before. I would doubt that it is a very universal used terminology. Sounds like something somebody made up in a book to prove some sort of POV. Linguistically it doesn't even make sense.
# 10
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/23/2004 8:32 pm
Well, now you have. ;) I'm sure you have heard the term "Chord Structure" or something familar. I probably could have used a more politically correct term: Building chords, Constructing triads, whatever floats your boat. I didn't mean to confuse you on that one. I thought you wanted to hear things explained in my own terms. :confused: You also forget, chris, all music theory is some sort of POV. The universal is just the "commonly" used.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.