View post (Fender)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/23/2004 4:39 am
Both Fender and Gibson make huge dollars on the fame of their name. Which is not the same as deserving wide support for consistently high quality. I've owned a few Fenders (and a few Gibsons), and I can tell you straight that the best quality Fender guitars, bar none, are Made In Japan! I expect to receive major flaming from patriotic 'murcans who haven't done an open-minded objetive comparison, but the truth is that the Japanese instruments, particularly the Re-Issues, are much better in terms of fit, finish, fret dress, and overall attention to detail. I would [u]not[/u] consider buying an American or a Mexican Fender online, but if the price was attractive, I might well buy a Japanese Fender sight unseen. That's how much difference the confidence in Quality Control makes! And it's not just my opinion. A Jap-Strat will get you a higher trade-in value from most music stores than a Mexi-Strat, or even an Am-strat, unless the particular guitar checks out to be in good shape.

Rejoice in the fact that at least Fender has a source of consistently excellent guitars, even if they are 'foreign'. Gibson doesn't have that to offer, so their customers are stuck with separating the keepers from the dreck on an individual basis.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons