Fender

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/20/2004 11:10 pm
How much of a difference is there between Fender's standard mexican instruments and their American line of production? I'm mostly wondering about any differences in reliability and how well they're put together, and if there's any difference in what kind of action each can be set up with.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/23/2004 12:44 am
They're basically similar, and the extra bucks for the AM Fenders are more likely to go for the quality controle other than anything else.
Also with different models , you'll find different pickups , trems , etc. ... That's why you have to try and see the difference yourself before you throw the cash.
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/23/2004 3:16 am
Fender is defanately a brand of guitar that you HAVE to play before you buy. none of their guitar's are constant. you could play 2 of the exact same model guitar from fender and they will feal and play different. Fender does make some amazing guitars, you just have to play a bunch of them to get a feel for them and find what you're looking for.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/23/2004 4:39 am
Both Fender and Gibson make huge dollars on the fame of their name. Which is not the same as deserving wide support for consistently high quality. I've owned a few Fenders (and a few Gibsons), and I can tell you straight that the best quality Fender guitars, bar none, are Made In Japan! I expect to receive major flaming from patriotic 'murcans who haven't done an open-minded objetive comparison, but the truth is that the Japanese instruments, particularly the Re-Issues, are much better in terms of fit, finish, fret dress, and overall attention to detail. I would [u]not[/u] consider buying an American or a Mexican Fender online, but if the price was attractive, I might well buy a Japanese Fender sight unseen. That's how much difference the confidence in Quality Control makes! And it's not just my opinion. A Jap-Strat will get you a higher trade-in value from most music stores than a Mexi-Strat, or even an Am-strat, unless the particular guitar checks out to be in good shape.

Rejoice in the fact that at least Fender has a source of consistently excellent guitars, even if they are 'foreign'. Gibson doesn't have that to offer, so their customers are stuck with separating the keepers from the dreck on an individual basis.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/23/2004 4:47 am
I've heard that about japanese fenders before, can't remember where. Does fender still make guitars in japan or are they all used now?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.