A (new) way to do A.H.'s

mortalkombatman
mortalkombatman
02/14/2004 4:53 am
Many people have had disputes about how in the hell to do a artifical harmonic and make it actually sound good...

Well, I discovered a completely different way to approach the mysterious artifical harmonic.

Check it out...

Fist, you have to have a pick. Next, hold the pick in a normal (not about to do a harmonic position) and hold it onto the node piont of the harmonic note you want to hit.
Finally, pick the string with your middle finger to get the sound.

That's it.

This may see completely different and akward, but it does allow you to mix in harmonics into super-fast picking whith those random harmonics thrown in without having to change the way you hold your pick. It is also easier for a younger player to get ahold of this concept rather than the "choke-up" method or the classical method that is used by big name players like Eddie Van Halen or Billy Gibbons the only reason they do it so good is they praticed 10 hours a day for 20+ years. It also make those Zakk Wylde licks a hell of a lot easier too...well just work on it, it takes very little pratice to do. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
# 1
jleraan
jleraan
02/14/2004 11:13 am
That method sounds very easy, but what the hell is the 'node point'? My native language is not English.
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/14/2004 11:58 am
The node point is where the natural harmonic is. For example, if you touch the string over the 12th fret. The node point is a small spot where the string is not actually vibrating, or at least isn't vibrating enough that when you touch the string there it doesn't mute it. What happens instead is you hear the parts the string has been split into.

I shouldn't try talking about wave physics 6am without any sleep. If any of that is screwed up someone correct me.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/14/2004 4:48 pm
thats actually nothing new - many guitarrists do that using the index finger instead of the pick.
just check out my transcription of debussy`s "girl with the flaxen hair" - it uses this very technique

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
TheWizard
TheWizard
02/15/2004 6:30 pm
yeah thats an old classical technique

but good work on figuring it out for your self I dont think I ever would have

that it actually much harder to do quickly when standing up than the normal pinch harmonic technique

whatever works for you
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 5
u10ajf
u10ajf
02/18/2004 10:40 pm
I don't see a problem with the traditional method. I can pinch harmonics as fast as I can pick normal stuff. The right hand has less far to travel than the left because the nodes are closer together than the fundamental notes are.
If you want to play them really fast try 5,4,3 fret equivalents and use a figure of 8 motion getting pinches on both up and down strokes.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.